how to wake/em up

rolo(7 OR Coast)March 13, 2007

I've stored about one-third of our tubers in saran wrap this season, and they've fared very well in our garage, where the temperature stays around 50 most of the time. But now its getting about time to wake them up, and I'm unsure how to go about it. If I bring them into a warmer room, I'm concerned it would cause condensation - and thus rot - inside the wrap. Should I unwrap them before I bring them in? I'd thought about unwrapping them, putting them into unsealed plastic bags with a little damp peat moss, and then bringing them inside. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

(ps: we're on the Oregon coast where it never really gets too cold, or too warm for that matter.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Yes, unwrap them for sure before or just after bringing them into a warmer environment. I learned the hard way last year. You can safely keep them in either peat or vermiculite or start some early in potting mix, until it's time to plant outdoors.

I bet you will find some already springing to life in their little plastic cocoons.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 12:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolo(7 OR Coast)

Thanks Poochella. I thought I recalled a post from last year in which someone told of an unfortunate experience when they warmed up wrapped tubers. Some our wrapped ones are beginning to show eyes, but not as much as those we stored in peat moss. The survival rate was much higher in wrap than in peat moss, which seemed to dry the tubers out even in our damp environment. We've only really been growing dahlias seriously (?) for one season, but were lucky enough to have a photo of our garden win a third place in Swan Island's annual photo contest and be published in their catalog. So now we're hooked, of course!
I'll plan to unwrap the tubers and put them in another medium before bringing them in to warm up.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™