Calamondin and bees

gnappiSeptember 29, 2011

I like small citrus to flavor water and foods, but I like the fact that calamondin are rather happy in a container and the idea of possibly drawing bees to my yard also.

Since the calamondin is in bloom so much I decided to get one.

My question is, do bees like the flowers? I've seen a couple of bumble bees in my yard, but no honey bees, ANYTHING I can do to draw them in would be a great help... I've been hand pollinating and would like nature to take over :-)

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodrok

Yes. Mine are planted in the ground and yes they attract bees. They bloomed early this year and the honey bees showed up around the time they were finishing. The big carpenter bees though were present and loved them. The honey bees enjoyed the later flushes.

Rob

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 10:00PM
silica

Calamondins are self pollinating, and do not require bees, or hand pollinating to pollinate the flowers. The tree will pollinate itself without any outside help. However, if you wish to hand pollinate, it certainly will not harm the tree.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 12:17PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Gary, though your citrus needs no pollinators (aren't you relieved), it's still a good thing to attract bees and other such insects into your gardens. Bees won't come around unless you have plenty of nectar and pollen producing plants for them. Be sure to have an assortment of blooming annuals, perennials, and woody plants for them to visit.

Bees are attracted to nice sized groupings of the same plant, rather than one here and one there. Use an assortment all throughout the yard, and don't forget that some woody shrubs are fine bee attractors when in bloom. Holly, loropetalum, weigela, pittosporum, and abelia...just to name a very few.

Two perennials in my gardens are covered up with bees, butterflies and other pollinators when in bloom: Autumn Joy sedum, which is in bloom now....and Agastache, so attractive to bees that I call their pretty spikes bee-sicles!

Cultivated roses, by the way, are not good bee or butterfly plants.

It goes without saying, of course, that if you are intent on bringing bees in to your yard, you'll need to be a pesticide-free location, including systemics. Even so called 'organic' products must be used with care.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™