test

eigdeh(z6 NJ)April 19, 2010

Howdy!

New to DahliaÂs, not new to gardening.

I bought a box of two DahliaÂs from the "Netherland Bulb Company" at my local nursery today. I read the box and it stated to plant the "root" so that the top is 1 inch below soil. When I opened the box I was surprised to see tubers! Not the first time boxes were wrong! Oh well box might also be wrong about depth to plant them, more below.

I got excited when I looked in the box and saw 11 tubers instead of the 2 promised, but when I researched on the web to find out if I should have gotten the roots as stated on the box I watched a YouTube video from "Lance the Dahlia Guy" that stated tubers growing from tubers were not going to produce plants. Oh well, I "think" 9 of the tubers fit this category. :c( Learn something new everyday.

Two areas I am confused about:

Lance the Dahlia GuyÂs YouTube video stated that most places recommend to plant the tubers between 4 and 6 inches deep, but he plants them between 2 and 4 due to the fact that it takes the ground a long time to warm up in NW Washington. So why does my box state to plant them 1 inch deep? How deep should I plant the tuber here in NJ keeping in mind I will plant them in pots till mid May?

See photos below for other questions:

Below is a photo of all the tubers I got in the box. Are all the loose tubers on the plate the kind that broke off other tubers and will never produce plants?

Below are the two clusters. I can take closer shots if necessary:

Should I divide these for better yield? Are there any eyes that you guys with experience can see? To me these are not as obvious as the ones I saw on YouTube, but I am new to this. Of course I see the two stems that are about 2 inches long.

Are the mother tubers on these clusters?

And how deep should I plant these?

If these are divideable I would love to try it.

Thanks!

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote test in the subject while I was testing the photo links and forgot the change it when I posted. Please let this one drop to the bottom and post in the new one I am about to post with a subject.

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:27AM
More Discussions
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Starting dahlias in miracle grow potting soil
Hello,,,I need some help in getting my dahlias started...I...
dancinnance
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Nick Sr. blooms
How many blooms (total) can one expect from a newly...
dan1018
Sponsored Products
Vierti 600W Incandescent/Low Voltage Multi Location Dimmer
Lightology
5 Gallon Rectangle Planter - Loll Designs
$119.00 | HORNE
Philips | Ponte LED Wall Sconce
$190.00 | YLighting
Gentry Pendant by Quoizel
$299.99 | Lumens
Hampton Chaise Cover
$99.50 | FRONTGATE