is my tree dying???????

karanb1r(9)September 25, 2012

So I tried bark inlay grafting a while back and I failed. But many many many new shoots came out and I grafted onto them successfully. Now I was inspecting my tree and I see where I did the bark inlay, the wood is dry dry. but a few inches away there is green wood.

Now the shoots I have are growing GREAT.... no signs of dying but the actual stump from which they came out of doesnt look so good a few inches away from where the shoots are coming out of. Will the rest of my tree eventually dry and die out? or will my shoots continue to grow like they have been.

Here are a few pics. Please let me know what you guys think and share any experiences you might have.

The shoots are vigorous growers but Ive been cutting back so more energy goes into my grafts :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

seems ok-ish.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:42AM
karanb1r(9)

Haha... Thanks....

The tannish brown spot is the drying I'm referring to.

So is my tree dying?

Should I cut the dry part off and create a shorter stump but this time seal with tree asphalt orrr should I leave be because my tree is ok?????

Anyone have an idea?

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 4:46AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

the top 2-3" is dead. usually the tree will seal off the dead areas. i'm not sure if you should cut it, can't see the other side, is that thick green branch on the right side of the pic coming off the stump or lower down?

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 11:11PM
karanb1r(9)

The big branch in top right hand corner is coming off the top inch of the stump. That is my thickest branch. But I am willing to cut it if I have to

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 11:38PM
karanb1r(9)

Anyone else have any input?

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 2:00AM
karanb1r(9)

??? Annnnnnyone else???

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 10:07PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well. To me, it looks like you've taking a picture of a stumped citrus tree with some sprouting, some of which appears to be coming from above the graft line, and some below (can't really tell, can't quite see the graft line). Can you give us more history on this tree? Like why it was cut down?? You may be better off digging it up and simply replanting. If you can give us a better couple of photos, one a bit further back so we can see the full view of what's left of this tree, and then a close up of the graft line, to see where the sprouts are emanating from, that would be more helpful.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 11:28PM
karanb1r(9)

This is a mature tree, it was planted by seed, 35+ years old, it was cut down because the fruit was below par, there is cement around it so it can't simply be taken out.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 1:05AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Okay, so you're hoping to just use the sprouts to graft to, then. I think you should simply continue to graft to the strongest shoots that are pointing the right direction. You would eventually end up with a bushy tree that might have multiple citrus varieties, if you can successfully graft different varieties to the sprouts. I wouldn't worry about the dead part of the stump unless it starts to decay. If that happens, I would try cutting back the dead part and cut on an angle to allow for rain or water to drip off and not pool.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Citrus/Orange Tree in Container---Health Concerns
Hi there! So, about three years ago a friend of mine...
Grace Larkin
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™