What the heck should I do with this poor thing?

Laura RobichaudNovember 24, 2012

I've had this poor neglected cactus for several years. It started out as a little ball and then grew out and over the footed planter it was in. I just planted it in the gritty mix. It's propped up on the yellow pot filled with gritty mix for the lack of something else to rest it on. It actually has bloomed the last 3 years. I don't think I can cut it, but it won't, obviously stand on it's own without falling out of the pot. I've thought of just throwing it away, but I'd feel bad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laura Robichaud

Here's another pic.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:07AM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

If you do not want it have you thought about putting it up for adoption? Someone on here or through Freecycle dot org might be interested in giving it a home. Just a thought.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:01AM
Laura Robichaud

I'd really like to save it and keep it. Not sure if it'll develop a better root system in the gritty mix and be able to anchor the rest of the plant or if I should cut it in half and root the top.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:09AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If that was in the ground, the good strategy would be to give it a rock to rest on. Can you find a long container, plant it in one end and rest the other end on a rock at the other end of the container? It would look pretty cool.

And maybe give it more sun in the summertime?

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:18PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

It's a Mammillaria, and some of them grow like that. I have a M. matudae over a foot tall that grows like that, and so did M. perezdelarosa until the bottom rotted. Now I have a bunch of little ones, but they haven't started to crawl yet. If I find the pic of the matudae, I'll send it along soon.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 2:21PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Mammillaria matudae.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 3:22PM
robinpla(10b)

I'd replant it in a long rectangular or oval pot (or any crazy shape you want:), make the soil look like a real desert floor and let the cactus rest on the soil.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
So how about this jade?
I bought this as Crassula obliqua variegata; the leaves,...
marguerite_gw
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™