How far apart do you space your Dahlias?

sjmarshesApril 15, 2010

What have you found to be the best spacing for 4 ft. to 5 ft. plants that are tipped early for branching? Last year I planted 2 ft. apart and though I had no problems it seemed a little too close.

I ordered a lot more tubers for this year only to discover that one of my 30 ft. raised beds is still infested with nut grass despite being covered with black plastic since last spring.

I have about 25 tubers and 2 good 30 ft. raised beds which would put me at about the same spacing as last year because you plant a foot or so in from the ends. If you have never had nut grass count your lucky stars. The stuff has actually made me fond of my other weeds.

I am trying to decide whether to plant the infested bed and hand battle it or go back to the 2 ft. spacing. How far apart do you normally plant your Dahlias?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2008

in the show gardens we plant them 2 to a stake with the stakes 3' apart all around.
in the big garden we plant them about 2-2.5' apart in rows with 3' aisles between the rows

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 10:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I plant them 1/2 of their height apart in my cutting garden and 1/3 their height in my show beds.

It is easier to snip them with more room, but 'look' better more full.

Their height = their mature height.

Like plantlady mentioned, I keep 3' rows between rows in my cutting gardens and 2' in my show gardens just to keep good air flow.

Keriann~

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™