dahlia seeds

anna_lisa(Quebec)April 15, 2006

Hi I would like to know how to get dahlia seed from dahlias I have about 30 dahlias and most of them are AAtype. Is there a site where they show you step by step how to get the seed. I know they sell the seeds at the garden centers but they are the border type I don't want them.I would like to collect my own seed Anna Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Here's one article. Plantlady has pictures at her website too, I believe, that show the whole seedling shebang in action! I'm still so green with envy over those 60+ acres Plantlady. Unless you tell me I'm the one who has to weed them all- or dig all the dahlias!

I'll let Plantlady post a link to her seedling page if desired. It's worth it just to see those photos! Meanwhile, below is a link to an article...

Here is a link that might be useful: One way to collect seeds from dahlias

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 10:38PM
plantlady2(NW Washington)

Here's our site. Look in the Seedlings album. The seed picking pictures are towards the back of the album.
If you want to hand pollinate AA dahlias you can give them a bit of a "haircut" - trim their petals to about a BB sized dahlia so the pollen gets where you need it. Be aware that even if you only use AA moms & dads for seed parents, you will still get a lot of smaller babies. We only have AA & A sized dahlias in our gardens but still get some smaller blooms. If you let the birds & bees do the pollinating & you have open centered or small dahlias around you will get a lot of open centered & small dahlias.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wynne's Seedling Album

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 8:17PM
char_2006

I'm new to this seeds collecting and having a ball. Are there pictures of what the dahlia seeds look like?

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 2:30PM
plantlady2(NW Washington)

There are pictures of seeds in our seedling album at the site in the above plantlady2 post.

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™