Starting Dahlia Indoors- Potting Medium?

melissamary(z4/5NY)April 3, 2009

Jroot and all-

What would you suggest for using as a potting soil medium for starting my dahlia's indoors? I think in the past I have used just plain potting mix OR maybe it was peat moss? My order from Swan Island Dahlias should be arriving any day!

Thanks!

MelissaMary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2008

We use Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil from Costco- it's really good & not too expensive- around $12.00 for a huge bag- cheaper than the same kind at WalMart. It has some Ozmocote in it for an added boost after the plant is in the garden. I also use it for all the annual pots & hanging planters I make in the flowershop & my customers love the results.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 8:54PM
vikingcraftsman

I will second Plantlady I use it all the time and farmer john loves it he is out of the ground by 6inches under lights.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:17PM
plantlady2008

Go Viking! You got Farmer John to wake up early- he's usually lazy around here & doesn't put out an eye until May or so! (We think it's because John had to get up at 4 am to milk cows all those years & his namesake is making up for it ;) I think Farmer J is the one Ellie was referring to last week when she said some are noted for being late at eyeing up.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™