Dahlia tubers dried out?

aspringerApril 14, 2005

I am fairly new to dahlias so need some advice. I lifted mine out of the ground in November and stored them in dry peat moss in a large paper bag in a cool basement over the winter. Just took them out and the tubers look all shriveled up. Only one of them has what looks to be a new sprout. No eyes visible. Are they dead? Can they be revived by soaking them in water? Or should I buy new tubers and start over? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duane456

I thought the same thing with one my dahlias last year. They were all shriveled up and looked dead. I said, what the heck, I'll put them in the ground. I have nothing to lose. It came up and probably grew better than the one I left in the ground to my surprise. Go ahead and plant it. You have nothing to lose.

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 11:34AM
DapperDahlia(z6 Pa)

A couple of sources i found said that you should check your stored tubers monthly over the winter and if they start to look dried out that you should sprinkle them lightly with a little water.....maybe that will be helpful for next year :o)

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 8:23PM
pdxjules(8, Portland, OR)

Thanx, this info helped me too. I only have a couple that look that way - but the colors are important to my Newbie planting plan, so glad to hear they have a good chance.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:01PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I lost one last spring and finally found it in fall in a pot, still dry. I planted it in the ground but didn't see anything come up. If it ever comes up and blooms I'll report.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™