Carrizo rootstock

arkberry(8b)September 28, 2012

Looking at a blood orange on corrizo rootstock. I am not overly familiar with this rootstock and have not seen a lot of posts or data. Has anyone had any expience with this rootstock or can point me in the correct direction (my current plants are all flying dragon). It will be a container grown plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

I have considerable experience with carrizo; it is susceptible to Phytophera... not a problem in containers; it is a full size rootstock, not dwarfing like flying dragon. For a container orange I would opt for FD, or Cuban Shaddock, which Four Winds Growers uses. There are others; but for a container I don't think you want a full size orange tree...of course that could depend on the size of your "container".

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 10:16PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

I have a Moro blood orange on Carrizo, it was in a 5 gal container and, since I don't have a spot in the ground for it yet, I just moved it to a 15 gal container. The trunk is 1 1/2" just above the base.

Johnmerr, do you have any idea how this tree would do if I left it in the 15 gal container for a year or more? It's healthy looking, has about 5 fruit on it. The potting soil in the original container was pretty heavy, sand and something else. I washed some of that off, and am using a Supersoil and pumice mix in the 15 gal container.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 9:28PM
johnmerr(11)

jb...
I am not a container genius... lots of people here are.

I am sure they will answer here to help you.

John

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™