Cutting calendula?

diggerdee zone 6 CTAugust 4, 2005

I have a new cutting garden this year and have calendulas for the first time. I can't seem to get them to survive in the vase. I cut them in the morning, put them in water with preservative and condition them in an air-conditioned room, and then arrange, (again, in water with preservative) but they don't seem to last more than a day. Some even die before they fully open.

Any tips?

Thanks!

:)

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fundybayfarm(z5westernN.S.)

Dee,
First of all, I find that to have them last at all, they need to be fully open, but to have JUST opened. And even then, you don't get the vase life of a zinnia or aster. I don't use them very often, even though they are orgeous flowers, and easily re-seed themselves all over the place. I mainly just use them in our exhibiton where they don't have to last more than 4 days.
Cheryl

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 6:30AM
flowerfarmer

Hydrating solution is essential for this one. And, did ya all read about the sugar pulse solution for flowers?

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 10:49AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Thanks, guys. Funny, the reason I included calendulas in the garden is because I read that they have a long vase life. Sounds like it's kind of tricky to cut these at just the right time. I'm not sure I'm ready to do hydrating solution just yet. Don't know if I'm ready to have several buckets full of different solutions to swap out and so forth. Maybe next year, after I get a bit more accustomed to the routine of cutting, etc.

Thanks so much for your help!
:)
Dee

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™