Should I repot this new Crown of Thorns?

wendync(7b)November 18, 2012

I got a new crown of thorns from the clearance rack at Lowes. It was completely submerged in water, with 1 inch of it on top of the plastic pot and a few more inches in the decorative pot it was sitting in. The plant looked fine, however. I guess it was marked clearance because it was out of bloom.

Any way, so it took 8 days for that thing to dry out. However, I have noticed that the "soil" it is in dries hard as a rock, like cement. I'm wondering if I should repot it into something else? What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron4310

I would have re-potted it as soon as I got it.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

I would re-pot it as soon as possible if it were me. Into a good, well draining mix.

IMO anything you get from a Big Box store like lowes should be re-potted right away. The mix they are in is garbage. They are peat heavy and hold way too much water.

When peat becomes totally dry,it will turn to cement as you see, it will repel water, so it is just a no win in the mix it is in. It will need a good soaking, then you will be right back where you are with it too wet for too long.

In the future, if you can't re-pot right away, remove the plant and set it on news paper or paper towels to dry it out faster. 8 days is too long for a succulent in such a soggy mess.

I would gently remove as much of the old soil as possible, and re-pot it.

JoJo

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Pest and diseases in Aloes (photos?)
Hi everyone, Can anyone refer me to a website or a...
juper
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™