Blooming now

brittie(Houston 9a)April 28, 2013

I've got a few blooming right now, and several others just barely starting to bud.

I want to say that this one was Brian's Sun

This is a NOID. I don't remember buying one that looked like this, so it may have been mislabeled. Pretty though, and huge!

Some NOID dwarf dahlias

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

brittie,
Beautiful pics!
They all look so happy too.
Are they from prior years or new?
What a great idea to use tomato cages, but I have all small
varieties, so I guess I won't need them.
I never grew the tall dahlias, I was afraid of the wind here.
Thanks for sharing pics.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:38PM
mandolls(4)

Fun to see Dahlia pics so early - it is still crocus/daffodil season here. I have some small bedding Dahlias that I grew from seed that are blooming indoors, but its to early to put them outside.

Do you just leave them in the ground all winter in Texas, and this is their natural time to start blooming? or did you start them indoors and move them out?

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:46AM
brittie(Houston 9a)

I just leave them in the ground. Both the orange and the purple dahlias are from last year. When the foliage came up for Brian's Sun, I put a tomato cage over it because I thought it was Purple Splash, which was super tall last year. I was wrong, and now Purple Splash is coming up behind Brian's Sun without a cage. Hmph. I might try to lift the one, but not if it's going to break anything. I'm super impressed with Brian's Sun, very full and bushy.

The small, red dahlia in the picture above is potted and from two years ago. I have to be really careful not to water it too much so that the tuber doesn't rot. We get 50+ inches of rain a year here, so that's a real worry. :/

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:58AM
jockewing(9a)

Brittie, looks like you have success with Dahlias. I am in New Orleans area, almost identical climate to you in Houston. I have heard dahlias don't work here in the heat and humidity. Do you find that to be a fallacy? I bought some called Sky Angel from Lowe's to try in pots because I was afraid to put in the ground as I'd heard they don't like it here. Any tricks/tips for us in the hot humid South?

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™