tuber condtion after winter storage

ajc_ajcApril 28, 2013

i am new to growing these beautiful plants..last year i bought two plants from the garden center and they did very well ...i took a interest in dahlias and learned that i could dig up the plant and keep the tubers over winter ... i did this ,,keeping them in a cardboard box covered in newspaper in a dark cool place. so today i decided that i would start these tubers outside in a pot. i live in zone 6b . when i got the tubers out of the basement storage they seem soft and spongy ...is this ok ...the looked dry but soft to touch....i planted them any way ,,,but i'm wondering if this is the proper condtion to find them in ... this is trial by error i guess...thanks in advance for any replys with advice or comments

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noni Morrison

It sounds like they dried out a bit but if there is no mold on them they should come bouncing back. I dug and stored tubers for the first time successfully this year (From about 200 plants). I Followed the usual directions, but was careful to dry them thorougly after digging, washing and cutting, before I stored them. They spent the winter in plastic bins in layers of peat moss or vermiculite, in my garage which stayed between about 40 and 45 most of the winter...no freezing anyhow.

By storing in peat or vermiculite in a closed bin the moisture that is in them is contained and the peat seems to keep it from pooling around any one tuber.

Congratulations on keeping yours alive this winter. I would now put them into moist potting soil in a warm room to plump up and wake up.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:00AM
mandolls(4)

Did you just plant them directly in the ground? Or are you starting them in pots inside?

I usually dont plant tubers in the ground until they are sprouted and growing, especially soft tubers, they can rot pretty easily.

If you place them in an open baggie with moist peatmoss or potting soil, and stick them somewhere warm (as mentioned above) you can keep an eye on them and make sure they are going to be productive before you commit garden space to them.

You might want to do a search on this forum about storing tubers. There are several different ways to do it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:53AM
ajc_ajc

posting a follow up ....today i saw new growth coming from one of my re planted tubers,,,,,keeping my eye on the other pot ,,any day now i hope ....so my method of storing worked ...but i will research a better way at the end of the season

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Growing Dahlias in zone 13b
We recently moved from Indiana to Costa Rica. In Indiana...
dreamskape
Devistating dahlias this year :/
Hi guys! It has been awhile since I have been on....
keriann_lakegeneva
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Sponsored Products
Double Media Tower
Overstock.com
Home Logic Hampers & Carts Laundry Basket with IML Pattern White with purple
$11.99 | Home Depot
56"L Tufted Storage Bench
$1,399.00 | Horchow
T3 FeatherWeight Compact Blow Dryer
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Carlton White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets