Should I pull my dianthus (Bouquet Rose) out now?

steve22802(7a VA)September 30, 2011

This was my first year growing the interspecific hybrid dianthus Bouquet Rose. It is done blooming and is setting seed. Is there any chance that it could be coaxed to bloom a second season or is it's life cycle done now? It seems to me like this interspecific hybrid behaves more like an annual than a biannual. I'm thinking I should probably just pull it all out.

- Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinman(Z5 MI)

I let my dianthus Amazon stay in the ground last winter, but this spring they were all dead as door nails. You may have better luck down there in Virginia.

TM

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 7:16PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks for the feedback thinman. I think I'm just going to pull them all out. It seems logical to me that these new hybrids which are bred to bloom profusely the first year will naturally go to seed and then die off at the end of the season.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 8:43PM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Steve, sorry I'm only just seeing this now. The Bouquet series will bloom again in the second year. For your future reference.
Cheers Kim BFFF

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 10:45PM
marthacr(z5 Me)

Well, since it pains me to pull anything out if I don't need to, I cut mine back and mulched with leaves. We'll find out next year what works. (I mulched about a month ago and it's turned out to be in the low 50's since. My garlic is even sprouting. Go figure.)

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™