Bowiea Bloom is boring

karyn1(7a)November 27, 2012

My Bowiea volubilis is blooming for the first time. It's still small, about egg size. It can be seen in the background. The flowers are pretty boring. My Bowiea gariepensis blooms are nothing special but much nicer then it's cousin's. It should be in bloom in the next month or so.

A couple other blooms in the GH
Jatropha podagrica (Buddha Belly)

Huernia?

COT blooms finally getting darker.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Karen,

Yes, they're like Haws that way, aren't they? But also like Haws it's not their flowers we grow them for.

Jatropha flowers are so pretty.

And isn't that Schneider's Huernia (disclaimer: I have a Tshirt that says 'Have a Huernia')?

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 12:45PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks, I think that's the huernia ID and I'd rather have that type then the other.

All jatrophas I've seen have blooms that are prety similar but I wonder if all have seed pods that have an audible pop? When the pods on that plant open you can sometimes hear it and the seeds can shoot out 20 feet.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 1:58PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Karyn, I have been hoping my Jatropha that you gave me (same as pictured) would flower but not even close... is it age or sun or what?

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 3:07PM
karyn1(7a)

Howard I'm surprised you haven't had blooms yet. I keep mine in full sun during the warm months and wherever I can fit them that's reasonably warm in the winter. They usually drop their foliage but for some reason mine are still growing. I'm guessing the one with almost ripe seed pods will go dormant after the pods burst. Just keep it somewhere with lots of light and warmth and give it some time.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:10PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Karyn, I'm curious about how often you water your jatropha in the winter?

My jatropha flowered for a few years, but this year there were no flowers. Mine goes outdoors for the summer and the foliage doesn't look as nice in full sun - perhaps that's what happened this year - it didn't get quite enough sun for flowers.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:45PM
karyn1(7a)

If it's completely dormant I don't water at all. Since they still have foliage, flowers and seed pods I water sparingly. During the summer they are well watered but I probably don't feed them as often as I should. I might remember to feed them 1x/yr (hangs head in shame).

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:01AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Thanks, Karyn. That's what I do too. I find the transition periods tricky in terms of knowing how much water to give. I don't feed mine much either, but after seeing some that looked like they were on steroids at a local nursery this summer (they looked really good) I think I will feed a bit more once it has leaves again.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
Wholesale cacti nurseries in AZ?
Hello- does anyone know of any wholesale cacti nurseries...
maark23 TX/8a
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
New Additions from the Philadelphia Flower Show
This is what I acquired on Saturday at the Flower Show....
ehuns27 7a PA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™