Don't know where

leveta(6)September 9, 2008

I've looked over the forums and don't where to ask this question. Does anyone know when to cut broomcorn?

Thank You....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Hi - mine isn't ready yet, but I cut it when the seed heads are fully developed (and sometimes I even let them grow longer to get a fuller/wispy look). They keep forever - at least the seed heads do...I don't generally use the stocks much. I hope I'll have some by the end of the month...but everything is 3 weeks late this year and I planted it late!
Good luck,
Wendy

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 1:58PM
diggerdee

I've already been cutting mine! Ths is my first year with them, so I guess I didn't know any better, lol.

I don't have a lot (will definitely grow more next year!) but I have cut a few stems already. Granted, the seed heads weren't fully developed, as Wendy described, but they were enough to attract attention in a bouquet, especially with that great foliage.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 2:11PM
leveta(6)

Hi flowers4u, how do you know when they are ready? Alot of mine have what looks like seed on them. Does that mean they ARE ready? I Hate to be so dumb about these things,but I never raised them before. Thanks to you both ....

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 8:35PM
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Hi -
Check the pictures in your seed catalogs. I'll add a link to one variety in Johnny's...but they should be very tall (over 6') and have lots of seeds.

Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful: Broom corn picture

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 2:12PM
leveta(6)

Mine are WELL over 6ft. More like 10-12. Even some of my Indian corn was about that. And some grow out of the tip of the husk it got so long. I even have some that are about 4 inches wide. I never seen the like in all the yrs I been growing it....Thanks for the link. I shop Johnny seeds to...I really like their stuff...

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 4:37PM
diggerdee

Wendy, that red broom corn is very nice. I grew Hungarian broom corn, and the tops/seeds are yellowish, although the packet says it "takes on a reddish color". (The package shows a yellowish seed top.) Maybe I did cut it too early, lol! I'm going to have to try the red.

leveta - 10 to 12 feet high? I'd say the time to cut it is when you can still reach it, lol!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 8:22PM
leveta(6)

Dee i'm tellin ya, some things have went wild this yr. My niece took a pic of me in a patch of the indian corn. My mom said I look like a midget. I will have to bend it over to cut it.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™