Lane Late Navel Tree. Planting question/Advice.

SeanPez(9)October 26, 2011

Hi All,

I was at a local nursery, and found this Lane Late Navel Dwarf orange tree for $25! I thought it was a good buy so i picked it up and brought it home. I planted it right away, since it was drizzly today, so the soil got nice and wet. I was a bit upset because i saw that the tree had 6 oranges on it already. I dont know if the nursery super fertilized it or it is a good tree.

I planted the tree in the ground, but i dont know if it is too low? Is the space too tight? I dug about a food into the ground and came to a point where there were some big stones in the ground that i was unable to remove next to where i planted the tree. Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks!

-Sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

It looks like a great spot to me. For me I plant my trees at the same depth as the nursery soil was up the trunk if not a bit lower but mine are all in pots. Some will suggest you raise the root ball up and plant the tree basically on a mound to aid in drainage. As long as the stones dont cause drainage issue it should be ok. The roots will grow more laterally and may not anchor it as well but only time will tell. I have read that the Lane isnt quite as good as a Washington but for $25 that looks a nice tree.

mike

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™