Meyers Lemon Tree California- No Blooming

SeanPez(9)October 14, 2011

Hi All!

I had a question. I have just finished cleaning and fixing my garden. I had bought an improved meyers lemon tree from Costco a while ago, and i finally decided to plant it in the ground. The tree had lots of flowers on it, but somehow when i moved the location of the tree before i planted it, all the flowers fell. Now that i planted it, i still dont see any flowers!

THere is only 1 fruit on the tree. The other one the squirrel ate.. so now i have a battle with the squirrel.

What is going on with my tree?!

Please help me, what should i do? How can i make it blossom and bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

SeanPez,

Citrus set tons of flowers but only a small percentage of those flowers turn in to fruit. Once the fruit is formed and still small the tree will drop a good many of those fruits as well, it is all a natural process. Citrus are good at gauging how many fruits they can ripen without hurting themselves.

The less fruit it has now in the first couple years while it establishes itself the better it is for the tree. You want that energy to go in to growing roots, limbs and leaves not in to lemons.

Do the tree a favor, snip off that one fruit it does have, it will reward you with better growth. If it was my tree I would also remove any fruit that forms this spring. During the growing season fertilize it lightly monthly and enjoy watching it grow.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 7:20AM
silica

Actually you do not need to remove the one fruit. Research by Purdue University, has shown that one fruit on a young citrus tree has no effect on the tree's growth rate. If your interested in further information on this subject you can find in the the Universities web site.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 6:24PM
johnmerr(11)

Meyers in California have their primary bloom in January or February; the secondary bloom, which occurs in September or October typically results in very few fruits, especially if the tree is young or has fruits on it. The "problem" with Meyers is they are such prolific producers that if you don't take off most of the fruit during the first few years, the tree won't grow. You can find yourself with a 5 year old tree still producing 50 fruits per year and the tree the same size as when it was 2 years. If your tree is strong and growing well, you might leave 6 to 10 fruits from the early spring bloom; but not more than that; as the tree grows, you can leave more each year. All of this advice assumes, because you bought the tree at Costco, that it is on dwarfing rootstock, which means the tree will likely not get bigger than maybe 6 to 8 feet, but it should ultimately produce a cupla hundred fruits per year with good care.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 6:45PM
SeanPez(9)

Thank you guys for all the advice! I just got some citrus fertilizer, and will be fertilizing my other lemon tree. Maybe i will give this baby a little fertilizer too!

you guys helped alot! Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 8:02PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

keep it fed year round and it'll bloom and fruit.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 1:58AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

silica,

Post the link please.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
Help! I think my 2 yr old lemon tree is in shock!
This plant was doing fine until I trimmed off a huge...
olly805
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
dwarf citrus pest/disease ID help?
I was watering my dwarf lemon and lime trees today...
L
Meyer Lemon has sticky leaves - is this good?
Happy Winter everyone. I am new to growing my meyer...
dpolson37
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen Home Dining Buffet - Tobacco - 932680
Hayneedle
Amaryllis 1 Framed Wall Art by Steven N. Meyers - 21.04W x 21.04H in. - DSW01290
$81.99 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home Pull-Up Backless Counter Stool - Oatmeal - Set of 2 Multico
$580.00 | Hayneedle
Gusto di Limone Cake - N/A
$58.00 | Horchow
Black Framed Movie Print
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Meyer Distressed Brown and Black Clock
$138.00 | Bellacor
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE
Paula Deen Down Home The Hostess Credenza - Molasses - 193675
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™