What would you do?

drdna(4b)April 30, 2012

I'm going to have a problem. When I built my house, I planted this Pinus nigra just beside a young Tsuga canadensis seedling that I didn't see at that time(on the left) Now, both are getting bigger and bigger each year and I'm gonna have to make a decision soon. I know that at somme point I'm going to limb up a bit that pine so I can walk underneath, plus I like to see the bark.. but even then, the tsuga is already too big to unearth and move to another location. They're soon gonna be in each other's way. I heard that tsuga takes pruning quite well, would it be a good idea to prune it to a denser somewhat globose shape and keep it restrained that way. I also know that austrian pines have a tendancy to get sick, if that happens in the future then I could set free my tsuga..Does that make sense?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

That Tsuga looks pretty small to me. I'd suggest pruning it back early next spring or just tie rope around it to bring in the branches to make it easier to transplant. It just seems like a awkward position for it right now.

Depending on where you are I would cut down the A. nigra in a heartbeat and salvage the Hemlock.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 1:23PM
drdna(4b)

I can't believe I mistook left for right on the picture.

whaas, I'm a z4b in Quebec, 30 miles north of Montreal, is my pine doomed? That Tsuga may seem small to you but where I live is what old folks would call "Cain's land"...Underneath 2-3 inches of top soil, all you can find digging is stones and more stones for those roots to get tangled in and around...not an easy task!

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 1:37PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

see link.. do you want it that close to that garage??

if hemlock is rootable.. then root some pieces .... and get rid of the one that is TOO CLOSE TO THE GARAGE

ken

copy/paste this:

http://www.naturekind.org/imgs/kcn2/r/Pinaceae_Tsuga_canadensis_3208.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 1:56PM
wisconsitom

Even I think that hemlock is going to grow too large for that location. Too bad digging is so hard there. This may be one of the few situations where the best bet is to do some pruning on it. You could keep it small for a long time by nipping the candles as they form. Just a thought......

+oM

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 6:52PM
drdna(4b)

Talk about coincidence!..I went to take a look around my trees today(as I do almost everyday) and something caught my attention on that Pinus nigra and I took a picture of it. Something bad?? What does it look like??

Dan

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:57PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Sapsucker of some sort.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Drill bits

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:33AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Sapsuckers for sure. They have killed numerous trees in my garden.
They eventually killed this large Cedrus deodara.
Mike

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
New arrivals
L-R back row. Picea a. 'Susan'. . Picea a. 'Summer...
davesconifers
ID dwarf conifers
We moved in a few months ago, and these are in the...
amynoacids
emerald green problems, maybe
Hi, I purchased emerald green arborvitaes (or at least...
evo_lution
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™