potted lemon - one long branch

granolaeeter(7b/8a)October 13, 2010

My Meyer Lemon is growing one straight stick - straight up - no side branches.

A little background: I planted it in the ground outside early this year. After a couple of months it, and an orange, had not grown AT ALL. So I put both in pots and they took right off. The orange is doing well but the lemon just keeps growing straight up. They were both tiny, about 6" tall, and now the lemon is about 3 feet.

Do I need to top it off to encourage branching?

Any info appreciated - these are my first citrus.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you want the tree to be taller at some point, and your pruning and branch managing skills are sufficient to allow you to select and train up a new leader at a later date, removing the growing tip of the branch (apical meristem) will indeed force back-budding and a fuller tree in the immediate future (tree time). ;o) If your pruning skills are a little suspect, it might be better to allow the tree to grow to 2/3 of the height you envision it being maintained at, and terminating it at that point. That allows the canopy in to provide the additional 1/3 of the height.

Al

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 9:52AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I had to remove a rogue branch from my Blood Orange a few months back.
Since it wasn't integral to the structure of the tree, I pruned it off without much thought.

If you can provide a picture, I'm sure that Al could brainstorm a tentative pruning plan.

Josh

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 11:43AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

About truncating the stem at 2/3 of the o/a ht you'd like the tree to be, I meant to say - 'That (plan) allows the canopy room to fill in and provide the additional 1/3 of the desired height'. Sorry - don't know where the missing words went? ;o)

Al

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 2:12PM
granolaeeter(7b/8a)

Thank you so much for your responses. I have never been very good with potted plants but I'm going to try very hard to make a go of it with this one.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™