Steps to potting up tubers in early spring

ginjjApril 2, 2011

I see lots of discussion about potting up dahlia tubers in early spring (now) but would love to find a discussion about how to do this from start to finish.

I gather they can be under lights, by a bright window, or just in a warm place?

I haven't done this before although I've grown dahlias for 30 years. I understand they should be planted when I plant tomatoes. I won't be planting tomatoes for a month and some of the 20 tubers I bought this year are beginning to sprout.

Thanks

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edewitt

Hi, Ginny. I just joined up GardenWeb so hopefully I'll get everything posted properly in this reply. I'm supplying a link to some photographs at least one person I know of that shows his process for potting up tubers early. I pretty much tried the same thing this year with 4.5" pots I purchased from Novosel and Miracle Gro soil I purchased from Costco. The only step I avoided was cutting the large tubers up so they would fit because I didn't feel comfortable cutting off that much of the tuber. For those I think I'll buy some biodegradable nursery pots and store them in that until it's time to plant.
They don't really need much light until the sprouts start getting a few inches tall, just a bit of heat and room temperature seems to do the trick just fine. I usually don't plant in my zone until after Mother's Day just to be on the safe side.

Here is a link that might be useful: FDR's dahlia potting steps

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 11:46PM
ginjj

That page makes it look pretty simple. I hope it's that basic.

Thanks
Ginny

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 12:43AM
maxyck

Edewitt, your steps to planting dahlias indoors was very helpful. All your dahlias look great, but I was particularly drawn to Blinky. I did a small search but couldn't find it for sale in Canada. Maybe someone can help.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 5:51PM
edewitt

Sorry but those pictures are actually taken by someone else. I figured they might be a helpful guide for those new to trying to get a head start.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™