Cacti needs help

Aneesa(4b)November 30, 2013

Hi everyone,
i really need some help. I'm from Trinidad (of Trinidad and Tobago). My cacti is losing colour and bending. I have tried watering it once a week, putting it nearer to the sun, adding more cactus soil. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone please advise me on what to do to make my beloved cacti better again? Help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aneesa(4b)

i just checked it. The soil was completely dry so I gave it some water and flowering plant food. Any advice is appreciated. The stem of the yellow cactus is rotting. The white spot in the photo is now considerably larger. Can anyone give me the correct name of the coloured cacti? Thanks

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snailprincess(8b)

Ah, I'm so sorry. I had a ruby ball ( red top) and a moon cactus ( orange top) and lost them to rot. I'm still a novice, but this has happened to me. I wouldnt take my advice without getting an opinion from a more experienced cactus person or googling several sites. But it might be helpful to share my experience, FYI. in my case the rot was at the bottom in the roots .., I cut the bottom half off with a sterile sharp knife, dressed the wound with sulfur powder and let the cactus dry on a dish for 3 days, until it got a callous. Then I put it in new soil... It did fine for a month and then died. Now I'm not sure if what I did helped , because the problem was my apartment was very moist and dark..,I've since moved to a dry apartment on flood stilts ... I haven't had a casualty since.
Btw the cacti with the colored tips are actually two cacti grafted together the colored one is a mutation that has no chlorophyll and must live off the bottom cacti's chlorophyll. The bottom cacti is a tropical cactus, the top a desert cactus... So it's very hard to take care of these guys,IMO, from the start.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
When do I start watering after re-potting?
I will be re-potting my plants into the gritty mix...
blaquepua
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
Sponsored Products
Upton Home Display/ Terrarium Console/ Sofa Table
Overstock.com
White 5.5'' Cacti Pot
$9.99 | zulily
Slamp | Cactus Pendant Light
$600.00 | YLighting
White Cacti Pot
$8.99 | zulily
Upton Home Display/ Terrarium Coffee/ Cocktail Table
Overstock.com