Cut Sunflowers Won't Open??

rosybunnyNovember 20, 2013

Hey guys, I'm very new to gardening and cutting flowers for arranging. This summer I grew sunflowers for the first time and it was very exciting! I had read that sunflowers could be cut before they fully open, put into a vase and they would continue to open. However that was not the case with my flowers, namely Peach Passion and Valentine. Can anyone share their thoughts/experience? Much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

A completely closed sunflower will often not open after cut. A good percentage of the petals must be starting to lift before cutting. Personally I prefer cutting when the sunflower is a tight cup shape, or that all the petals have lifted.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 3:22PM
paflowers

Closed sunflowers do open. Years ago, After a hurricane flattened a field of sunflowers, we went through and cut all the stems so they would not curve. 90 percent of those bloomed over the next week or so. We cut all of our Sunflowers tight. (not yet lifting of the center disk) Less damage to petals while being delivered to florists. They usually are fully open for me in three days.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 7:19PM
rosybunny

Thank you to both for your responses.

I'm really puzzled why my cut sunflowers wouldn't open...????? The plants grew very well and bloomed plenty. Flowers had no problem opening fully on the plants.

I never cut any that were still tightly shut, only the ones about 70%-80% open, meaning the petals were already pointing outwards. Then I put them in the house which was VERY warm this past summer, which should prompt cut flowers to open(?).

Following the logic that perhaps the cut flowers needed more energy to open, I tried adding sugar and bleach to the water, but then I read here that sugar would over hydrate sunflowers so I stopped using sugar, and the sugar didn't make the flowers open anyways. I guess next year I will try the sugar method again and see what happens.

Happy TG everybody.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
Flower Identification?
I've received this flower in some arrangements I've...
jessisok
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
Sponsored Products
White Tulip Burnout Medalion Window Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
"Elle" Stacking Jewelry Box
$77.90 | Horchow
Crown Products 400 Plastic Bag Dispenser - CRW006
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Boxwood White Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Beveled Glass
$59.99 | Bellacor
Lido Designs Closet Organization 72 in. x 1-5/16 in. Copper Oil Rubbed Bronze
$42.00 | Home Depot
Safavieh Oushak Blue/ Cream Powerloomed Rug (2'6 x 4')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™