Need advice on thinning overwintered dahilas

steve22802(7a VA)April 20, 2013

I managed to overwinter 13 clumps of dahlias this past winter and now they are starting to sprout multiple stems. What recommendations do people have for thinning? Should I thin down to only one stalk? I am growing them specifically to use as cut flowers so that information may make a difference in how I should thin and prune them. I want lots of long straight thin (but strong) stems so maybe multiple stems from the clump would be better.. I'm not really concerned about the size of the flowers.

- Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCvacation

A florist friend not on this forum always allows two stalks per tuber, saying he grows for quantity and not size. He also shows, but flowers are his livelihood.

We can't overwinter in my zone, but here are my thoughts...
The problem you might run into is that each tuber in a clump will want its own sprout/s and if you don't dig/divide/replant, it might be a downhill battle to limit growth... They might keep on sending sprouts out until you're tired of fighting them and they sneak past you anyways.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:16PM
mandolls(4)

Last year, as an experiment, I let several shoots grow on a few of my tubers, instead of paring them down to one.

My observation was that the main stalks were weaker, (not the flower stems). It was much more difficult to keep them staked, since there was more to stake and they needed more support. I did get more flowers though.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:05AM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll leave multiple stems (two or three) and see how this bed compares to the single tuber single stem plants in the rest of the beds.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™