Picking Satsumas?

HGFzone8October 23, 2012

Should I use clippers to cut off my Brown Select Satsumas? Is that the normal way since they seem to tear at the stem when picking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Yup, clip them off. All satsumas should be clipped off, as they do not separate well at the stem. Other mandarins with satsuma in their genetics may have the same issue, and should also be clipped off the stem.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:00AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

agreed.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 5:04PM
HGFzone8

Thanks Patty and Texas. This cool weather is sure making them sweet.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:32PM
wally_1936(8b)

Good to hear someone has their satsuma ripening already. I expect mine will be starting about thanksgiving time thru January. I made a mess when I first started picking mine a few years back and quickly started clipping them as they got very messy when I tried to pull them off. Last years' drought gave me small fruits but this year they are back to normal again but not as many due to the stress from that drought. They did not even flower well and I did not even expect to get as much fruit but have been surprised how much fruit I will get this year.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 8:55AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

In our zone 7b/8a, here in the foothills, we don't start picking until November,
after we've had a few good frosts. That seems to really stimulate both color and sweetness.
Our local Mountain Mandarin Festival, featuring the Owari Satsuma, happens the third week
of November.

Josh

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 11:41AM
HGFzone8

If I remember right, Brown select is one of the early varieties compared with Owari. Last year we had some still on the tree at Thanksgiving but this years cool nights has them ready a little early.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 7:21AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Correct, earlier than Owari. And, I think things tend to ripen at different rates in different areas, as well. For me, everything across the board is later than most everyone reports, I think due to my milder temps. Plus, younger trees tend to ripen later as well, and many of my trees are under 4 years old. My Miho Wase and Okitsu Wase Satsumas are earlier than my Frost Owari (Wase means "early" in Japanes). October vs December. Armstrong is also an October ripening satsuma. Brown's Select is usually around mid-October, St. Ann's Early ripens in September. We don't usually get concerned about super early satsumas here in my neck of the woods, due to our milder temps in the winter, but certainly an important consideration for commercial growers trying to extend mandarin market times, as well as for home growers who either want really early mandarins and also want to extend times to enjoy mandarins, or have winter temp concerns.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 11:20AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Patty and HGF!
Great info!

Josh

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™