when/how to pinch

idafrances(4)April 29, 2008

New dahlia gardener here! I'm starting them in pots, and they're looking quite happy.

Then I read that I should pinch off leaves? Pinch off shoots? Does anyone out there have the patience to try and explain how I should do this? Sorry...I'm sure it's very simple, but I'm afraid of hurting these guys!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

If you want to encourage more side branches which will bear flowers, "top" the plant by snapping off the center of the uppermost growth at about 15" tall, or 3-4 leaf sets. It will produce a fuller plant, not shorter than it is destined to be genetically.

Just reach in with thumb and forefinger nails and snap off the center tip between two leaf nodes. This is easiest when the plant is cool and fullest of moisture: evening or early a.m. The only thing not to do is harm the little new growths on either side of your breaking point. You won't. It's easy as pie and a good way to get green thumbnails.

The link offers two very detailed methods of topping dahlias. It's a bit involved for my needs, but may be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlias.net

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pdshop(5)

I read from Swans that when the plant has about 3 to 4 set of leaves that we are supposed to cut the whole top off leaving about an inch or more and than plant and cover the whole thing.?

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™