fert for cuttings in pots

linht(4a)April 30, 2008

I just received my cuttings from CG today and plan to grow them in large 14 or 16 inch pots with drainage holes. I was going to just use topsoil and mix in some sand or peat moss instead of buying additional potting soil. Am I suppose to mix a fertilizer into the soil a week before? Or just plant it in the pot and fertilize with a water soluble, high N since they are cuttings instead of tubers? I emailed Kevin at CG but just wanted to know if anybody here has done cuttings in large pots and how exactly you potted and fertilized them...

Thanks!

Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

What I understand is that fertilizer for tubers is intended to get them to root, not flower. Ergo, that is your goal too, so you should be able to follow any instructions for tubers and it will work for cuttings too. Personally, I'd opt for no fertilizer at all.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 11:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linht(4a)

Thanks Russ,

I guess cuttings work a little differently. Kevin emailed me back and he said it's ok to use a 10-20-20 to mix into the soil before putting into the pots. Then fertilize with a water soluble high N&K once a week for the 1st 4 weeks. Then once a month. When buds form, switch to high P&K.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™