Carnations: Can Can & Mini Spice

bellegallica_zone9(9)November 30, 2012

I posted this in the Growing from Seed forum, too, but I thought someone here might have some experience with these.

I'm growing two carnation varieties from seed: Can Can Scarlet and Mini Spice White.

I found a culture sheet online for "Can Can" Scarlet which advised not to pinch the seedlings, that they would branch on their own. It's true because I didn't pinch, and they have begun branching at the base and are turning into sturdy little plants.

The info I found on Mini-Spice said they were basal branching as well, but so far they haven't done so. They are getting rather spindly and want to flop over, so today I began pinching them back and firming the soil around their base to keep them upright. I refuse to stake, and it seems silly to stake plants that will only be 6-8 inches tall anyway.

I guess my question is, if you've grown Mini-Spice before, do you feel it necessary to pinch? Because I would have pinched them back weeks ago if I knew.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_farmer(5/6 MI)

Are these bedding plants? There are many varieties for cut flowers; however, they do require netting for support.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 6:11AM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™