Honeybell Orange

alwoodrOctober 19, 2011

My honeybell was purchased about 1 1/2 years ago from Home Depot. Last year it was healthy and produced some buds but the fell off before starting to grow into fruit. This year I have three fruits on the tree but the leaves have turned yellow and most of them have fallen off. What can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Letting citrus bear when young is a bad idea, the trees just don't have the reserves in case there is a problem. Some will cite university studies that state the opposite but that is foolish. Homeowners seldom give the trees the expert planting and care that trained horticulture experts do.

I'm in Florida also and some parts of the state have been dry like here but other spots have been drenched. What has it been like where you live? Have you fertilized the tree? How deep did you plant the tree? With citrus you should be able to just see the tops of the roots at the trunk. Is the tree mulched? When you planted the tree did you just put it in the sand or did you amend the soil? Amending the soil and heavy rains that last for days is a recipe for disaster and is why on our sand the soil should not be amended. Just need some more details.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™