Oh dear, now what? Newbie...

disneyhorse(10A)May 8, 2013

Last year I bought a bunch of tubers from pompon to dinner plate and grew in 12" pots. They were pretty.
I decided to dig them up, there were HUGE clumps of tubers! I put them in a bag in a shed and forgot about them till now.
The only clump I remembered to ID was bodacious, but the clump rotted.
My sister wants some so I started to divide the masses with the eyes, but I stopped because I'm not sure if I can divide them so close to planting? Do the new cuts have to "cure" or "heal" before planting?
They are sprouting so I think they need to be planted soon.
I'm in southern CA...
I'd appreciate any help. I just don't want to plant huge clumps because the tiny tubers I originally had filled the whole pots by fall!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

Go ahead and divide them. If you are not planting them into really wet soil then dont worry about letting them "cure".

Hard to believe you grew "dinner plates" in 12" pots! I would think they would need a 5 gallon bucket if they aren't going into the ground. They are usually at least 5' tall.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
disneyhorse(10A)

They had tomato cages and fertilizer and bloomed pretty well. I just didn't have a good place in the ground for them. The bodacious one was amazing... I might have to get another one! Thanks for the reply.
I have we'll draining soil... I remember I watered once and waited to see sprouts before I watered again.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™