Major Frost expected in southern Ontario

jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))May 15, 2009

Do NOT plant out your dahlias yet in Southern Ontario. We are expecting a major frost this weekend. Here where I live they are expecting -3C on Sunday. Hopefully it will be the last of the frosts, but I will not be planting out until the end of the month.

I guess I am in for more lugging in and out of the plants. My dahlias are in pots and many are well over a foot tall, and looking really healthy, and ready to put on their burst of colour.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uroboros5(Z5 Quebec)

PHew! I'm in Quebec, no frost in the forecast here.

My dahlias are already out of pots.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 7:44PM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

I am taking my chances

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:22PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Frost warning here zone 4 Quebec - and again maybe Wed. night - my plants are just starting out in pots in the screened-in porch, and I presume only persistent hard frost would harm them there. There are too many to move - would covering with blankets be advisable? There is negligible growth so far, but definitely growth. Poochella? Do you agree?

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 1:49PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

IF they are indoors in your screened in porch, they should be okay. I would be tempted though to throw a sheet over them, just to trap any heat in. Don't use plastic.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 2:05PM
Poochella(7 WA)

I agree with whatever Jroot says as he lives in Canada and is far more astute on the particulars of your latitudes. I had a few dahlias holding on an open front porch in pots, all up several inches, and even without frost warnings I moved them under a bench and draped a towel over the bench (placed next to the house) to give the dahlias a little cover on a chilly night. Better safe than sorry.

I hope your days and nights soon warm beyond frost warnings in the land of our neighbors to the north. Northeast in your case!

It would be interesting to see a thermal image of the variations in temps next to a house, a foundation, a rock wall vs out in the open as a night progressed during these cool spring weeks.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 2:27AM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

A few of my dahlia shoots were zapped by the frost a couple nights ago :( I should have left them in my screened in porch, but I'd never have guessed we would have frost after Victoria Day - besides, it was getting crowded in there!

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™