Ordering tubers?

ceresone(missouri ozarks)May 17, 2010

What size tuber do you get? I ordered from a Dahlia "farm" and got 4 small ones about the size of my thumb-only one had eyes I could see. I ordered from a seed catalog--and got what I would call a large "hand" or "clump" of each kind. I planted both, and so far, there is no growth on the small ones, while the others are up fine.

do you think I should complain--or is this normal when ordering from a "speciality place"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honnat

I'm hardly an expert to answer this; but from what I have found out "size doesn't matter." Each variety produces different size tubers and it has nothing to do with the quality or size of the plant. I ordered from one place this year and got some tubers the size of my fist; and others the size of a pencil. As long as they have an eye; they'll take off. Others...correct me if I'm wrong.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 3:43PM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I agree with the above statement.

I have seen no difference in the size of the tubers (between the same varieties) and the size of the plant or quality of it. I have found the 'bulk' tubers that are pretty banged up actually can be seperated 3-6 times. So they send 3 clumps and I end up planting 8-12 seperate plants! They are pretty ratty looking but well worth a little nursing back to health.

Keriann~

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 7:11PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Tuber sizes vary so from variety to variety: long and thin, fat like baking potatoes, short round, etc etc. I agree with the above too, and emphasize that any tubers you buy should have eyes if given time for them to pop. If they fail to show up, then it's time to contact the seller. Hopefully, they'll be accommodating.

Last year, as I pulled tomato seedlings sprung from the compost in the garden, I tugged up this little sprout, clearly a dahlia, which had apparently fallen from a parent clump during planting. It went on to grow to full size and even bloom.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Masterpiece Taupe 2' x 3'
$65.00 | Home Depot
Intersect Table Lamp - 10521
$227.70 | Hayneedle
Lemon Zest Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Coral Coast Classic 19 x 18 in. Rocking Chair Seat Pad - M006-1-AFS029-SAGE GREE
$27.98 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Lumiere Black 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Sasha Bronze LED Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy and Halva Glass
$342.00 | Bellacor
Mia Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Amber Matte Glass
$450.00 | Bellacor
Pale Pink Bold Stripe Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™