cactus from Stush

whip1 Zone 5 NE OhioNovember 29, 2013

If it wasn't Stush that sent me this, I apologize. Either way, it's growing like a weed. I got them early spring, and they were about 2 inches tall.

Thanks again for sharing. I lost the name tag. Does anyone know the proper name?

Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camellia1_gw

It's a Happy Plant!

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 1:53PM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Glad you remember me. Your cactus is Cereus peruvianus. Noticed that some had the 4 sides and some 5 sides. That way from seed. Yours is twice the size of mine. What are you feeding them? Attached is picture of plant I got the seeds from. It looked like a red apple, inside was typical white with black specks. It grows large in the ground but could be kept as a house plant. Keep the roots small by being in a small pot. You can burn the center top with a soldering iron to stop it from growing and will procuce side arms. Tip from 'bikerdoc5968' on euphorbias so it should be ok on cactus.
Stush

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:35PM
camellia1_gw

Nice one! I don't think that plant would have missed a few limbs :)

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:49PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Hi Stush, Thanks again for the plants. They spent the summer outside, and I feed and watered them like I did my Jades. About weekly. I never noticed the 4 vs 5 sides until you mentioned it. That seems odd.
I was wondering what would happen if I cut the top off and tried to root it? They look very skinny at the base, and I wonder how much weight it will support.

Camellia, I must be doing something right. it's growing. :)

Rob

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:19AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sweet!
If you cut the top off, the top will root and the "new" plant will be thicker at the base for better support. Meanwhile, the original plant should begin to branch.

Josh

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:27PM

That skinny base is stronger and woodier than the upper sides. No worry about it breaking and falling. But falling out of it's pot is another thing. I use a sand base soil with a little garden clay. It may keep it from growing so fast but when it gets over 3 feet tall, well you get the idea. My tallest is about 10 inches, and I still have a lot at the 2 inch stage. I wonder it those will be stunned? It had the same as the tallest ones.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 12:41PM
100mphtortoise(5)

Here's two more stush, my tallest is seven inches.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:55PM
100mphtortoise(5)

Here's a pic of an agave I got from you stush about two years ago it's over sixteen inches wide now and growing like a monster.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:11PM

100mphtortoise,
Tip, I used fingernail clippers on my Agave. Just the black tips so they don't stab you. Sides are also bad but I didn't have the time to do them. Cutting into the black about 1/2 way and it is not noticeable. Every time I handled them, I would have cuts all along my arms.
Your doing something right also. Looks good.
Stush

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Will this plant make it?
I put this plant in the sun for a almost a day and...
yonatin
Blue Bird Jade - opinions please
I got this beautiful Blue Bird Jade September '12 from...
lme5573
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
Anyone growing semps and jovibarba?
I just ordered some jovis and semps. Can't wait until...
connieatchley
End of day 2 greenhouse complete!
The greenhouse is finished now yay! More of every thing,makes...
spikef35
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™