Exclusively Neem Oil for CLM control

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, FOctober 27, 2012

Ever since August I have been spraying my Crape Myrtle and my Pygmy Date Palms with a rainwater+neem oil+bath salts (magnesium sulfate) solution to control aphids and fungus, respectively. I have also been spraying other plants with this mixture figuring at the very least it shouldn't hurt them and most probably wouldn't mind the extra magnesium. I know from watching the swallowtail caterpillars (or Orange Dogs as Patty likes to call them) that this doesn't seem to affect them much.

I had read in the past comments made about using Neem Oil to help control CLM damage. But it always came down to using Neem Oil AND Spinosad mixed together. After Mrs. Patty S. informed me that the Spinosad will kill off the swallowtail caterpillars as well, I have been trying to find out if Neem Oil by itself will work, but I haven't seen much to support this practice. Does anyone know, from experience, if using JUST Neem Oil will prevent CLMs from attacking my trees? I am still willing to use Spinosad on my wife's Mandarin tree because she really wants a 'pretty tree', but if I can get away with only using Neem Oil, I will go that route to avoid killing/preventing the swallowtails.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Leekle, I do not believe Neem alone, is effective against CLM. At least, not from what I have been able to find out there. I cannot speak from experience personally, but I believe the CLM larvae is a bit difficult to control, so using the combination of a hort oil (I use Volk) and Spinosid, will allow the Spinosid to stay stuck on a bit longer.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
Mexican Lemon
There is not much about this tree even here. Does anyone...
Frank Car
Sponsored Products
Silkroad Exclusive Marble Top 51-inch Single Sink Vanity Cabinet
Overstock.com
Premier Decorative Roller Shades. Free Samples and Shipping!
$62.00 | Blinds.com
Resort Pillow Sham
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
5'x8' Green Ikat Hand-Braided Jute Bima Area Rug
Cost Plus World Market
Helius Flushmount by Access Lighting
$184.00 | Lumens
Set of Two Window Planter Corbels
Grandin Road
Bleached burlap table runner
Origin Crafts
Presidio Faux Silk Taffeta Stripe Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120