How fast do cuttings root and flower?

linnea56(z5 IL)May 2, 2008

I finally got sand to make some cuttings from my too-leggy dahlias. But now itÂs early May: will these root at all in time to be of any use? I will probably give most away as it will be hard enough to find space for the potted tubers I have (~40: I always go nuts). How fast does a rooted cutting flower, anyway? I know of one dahlia seller who sells only rooted cuttings, not tubers, but I have no experience with this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

Well, my research says its ~14 days to root, and then 6 weeks to flower, depending on the variety. I'm not sure how much time topping adds. No hands on experience here, just based on my I-research.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 3:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardr

Cuttings will take 3-4 weeks to root, they then need 4-5 weeks 'potted on' in 3 1/2 or 4 inch pots to establish strong roots and growth before planting out. Then reckon on 4-5 weeks to the first blooms. I'll be planting mine out at the end of May and expect the first blooms in the first half of July with the main cropping through August and September with blooms continuing until November or the first frost, whichever comes first!

Here is a link that might be useful: Withypitts Dahlias

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™