How long before the tubers sprout?

dixie3379May 4, 2010

I'm a little concerned about some of the tubers that I bought online (Swan Island). All of the tubers looked great when I got them and each of them clearly had an eye. I started them a couple weeks ago in pots using the potting up method, laying on top of about 4 inches of soil and just barely covering them. So far only 2 of them have sprouted :( Maybe I'm just being impatient but I feel like something is wrong. I keep them in my garage over night and wheel them out during the day to catch sun. For the most part I have kept them dry only misting them every day. Two weeks prior to this I potted some that I bought at the Depot and while almost all of them were already sprouted at the time, I covered them with a few inches and they are doing really well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Some are painfully slow to show up. Don't know how many you're talking about, but I wonder if you brought them inside in a bright window, if they'd pop sooner with more consistent temps. Then you can be assured they'll grow and re-acclimate them to outdoor life and cooler night temps.

Just a thought. You can certainly keep waiting as well, but I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Gardening Newbie
Hi, all! I am new to growing and am hoping that I don't...
Terri Williams
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
Growing Dahlias in zone 13b
We recently moved from Indiana to Costa Rica. In Indiana...
dreamskape
Sponsored Products
Small Speakeasy Door Grille with Viewing Door
Signature Hardware
San Francisco 56-Inch Ceiling Fan
$549.95 | Bellacor
Anti-radiation Led Motion Sensor Dimmable Night Light
ParrotUncle
Red Linzer Cookie Cutter Set
$9.49 | zulily
Amazing Maze Hand Towel - TIGERLILY-ORANGE (16X30)
$19.00 | Horchow
Marset | Discoco Pendant Light
$618.00 | YLighting
Brown, 4' x 6' Hand-Knotted Rugs, Handmade Turkish Oushak Rug | Free pad | H2166
BH Sun Inc
Chloe Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Transitional Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Oil Rub
$77.50 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™