Droopy bottom leaves

misslucindaMay 23, 2007

Hey-

I started a few of my dahlias early and the biggest and the brightest, about 12" of leaves when I planted, now has droopy lower leaves.

The plant seemed not totally pressed into the soil so I am suspecting mole/vole or critter. Others, just sprouting but one bed away have not been "etten". Am watering stressed plant now. Shall I transplant to a different area?

Thanks,

ML

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

They want to be well drained, but at the same time like to be watered.

I have found all kinds of critters like to chew on them. I had a lovely shot of a squirrel eating the lower leaves of my dahlia right on my deck right in front of me. That being said, put it back and let it grow.

I find that the bottom leaves often droop. I actually usually trim off the bottom 4 inches of leaves ( once the plant is big enough) so that I get better air circulation and prevent mold on the lower leaves.

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misslucinda

Hi jroot-

Thanks for responding. I read a posting where you told someone you cut the bottom leaves off for better air circulation and to prevent mold---and frankly, after I saw that, I did the same and trimmed.

But the fact that "lower leaves often wilt" is news to me and certainly nothing I noticed last year... If the top 2/3rds of the plant weren't doing so well I would be tempted to pull it up and see whats going on with the tuber itself--The fact that I started it in regular potting soil and had to water fairly frequently, makes me wonder if I have some tuber rot going on---

Anyway, about those squirrels, there may be 8 million people in the naked city, but there's 8 million critters out here...and I am sure out where you are.

Hope you've started planting.

Patricia

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™