Meyers Lemon Sap?

safari928October 14, 2013

Newbie here so please be gentle.

Can anyone tell me what this is on my lemon tree? The tree(bush) is about 1 1/2yrs old. It is sticky like sap. The tree has sprouted flowers that turned into little lemons that fell off. I did get one lemon that grew to about the size of a grape then one day I walked into the room and the little guy was on the ground. Talk about heart breaking. It has gone through cycles of losing all of its leaves and then coming back with aggressive growth. I water it when I think it might be drying out and I add fertilizer once a month. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garret_87(Zone 6)

Welcome to the forum Safari928! We were all newbies at one point so no worries. Thanks for providing a photo. When and where did you get the tree? Also, kudos for attempting to grow citrus in a colder zone.

Have you checked the tree for pests? Specifically "Scale"? When my Meyer Lemon has signs of sticky sap on the leaves or pot it is usually a by product of these pesky Scales. If your tree has these bugs then spray with Neem oil. Do you have any Neem or Horticulture spray? (Scales attack my tree every winter so I keep it on hand)

Did the tree just recently flower? A few times I have seen a small amount of sap or nectar come out of flowers, but it was never much and didn't cause problems.

-Garret

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 5:49PM
safari928

My wife got the tree for me about 1 1/2 years ago as a present through the mail so I do not know where she got it. There were actually 6 in the package but all died except for two. I read up on the scales on the leaves but there is no sap on the leaves just this one place on the stump(if that is the correct term). My other Meyer has a sap spot too. This one hasn't flowered in about 3 months but the other one has one cluster of flowers that just appeared. Thanks for your help Garrett. This tree has become a bit of a challenge between my wife and I. She enjoys giving me a few good natured jabs whenever they lose their leaves.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 6:57PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you referring to the drop of sap?

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 11:43AM
safari928

rhizo - yes that spot of sap. I broke it off and it came back. I am worried that it might be some sort of boring bug. It might be nothing to worry about but I really want this tree to survive.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
Do these trees look healthy? (Bearss and Oroblanco)
I purchased these trees from Home Depot a little over...
emilygreenie
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen Home Paulas Dining Table - Tobacco - 932653
Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home Corries Kitchen Side Chair - Oatmeal - Set of 2 - UNIR1324
$640.00 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home Corries Counter Stool - Molasses - Set of 2 - UNIR1327
$730.00 | Hayneedle
Meyer Distressed Brown and Black Clock
$138.00 | Bellacor
Gusto di Limone Cake - N/A
$58.00 | Horchow