Meyer Lemon 'Y'

tomkiwiOctober 24, 2011

Hi All,

I have a Meyer Lemon tree in a pot that "Y"'s at the trunk in to two separate branches. The branch on the left has grown much more vigorously since we got it about 6 months ago. Both have fruit, however the fruit on the right hand branch is much more established. I am trying to determine if the left hand branch is a sucker, however I can not tell if there is a graft line or not. could they have possibly put two grafts on to the trunk at the "Y"? Any ideas on what to do with it? Pictures should be available here: http://tinyurl.com/3dn9yl9

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Not all trunks, branches are created equal; both branches look like Meyer; and it is not uncommon for a tree producer to put more than one bud to speed up growth and development of the tree. Sometimes one bud just "takes" better than the other; over a longer period of time, you should see them more equal. BTW, for plants in the ground, the roots tend to follow the water and fertilizer; so if you put the fertilizer and water on one side, the roots will grow there, followed by the limbs. In pots this is less likely to occur; but perhaps you put more fertilizer on one side; or maybe one side of the potting soil is packed more tightly, or something else is inhibiting root growth. Could be a simple as when you planted it, it had more roots on one side; or you damaged some roots on one side. The rule is, first the roots grow; and then the leaves/limbs follow.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 3:31PM
tomkiwi

Thanks! So I guess that I shouldn't be too concerned about the "Y", and it will just grow up to have two main branches huh?

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 7:59PM
johnmerr(11)

It'll proly grow up to have half a dozen or more main branches. Not to worry; give it TLC and have a little patience; your Meyer will reward you with the best lemon in the world... I have 7,000 trees, so I'm more than a big fan.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sponsored Products
Black Framed Movie Print
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
'Dream Big' Fort Meyers Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
Paula Deen Down Home The Hostess Credenza - Oatmeal - 192675
Hayneedle
Madison Park Meyers Grey 7-piece Solid Casual Pattern Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE