Collapsing cactus.

emilia415November 27, 2012

A few months ago I bought a little cactus and a jade plant at for my dorm room. I've been keeping them on an east-facing windowsill where they receive plenty of light, and I rarely water either for fear of root rot. A week or two ago my jade plant became rather limp and "floppy", so I watered both plants before leaving for Thanksgiving.

When I returned to my room at the end of the weekend, I was thrilled to discover not only that the jade plant had perked up but that a bud on the cactus had begun to open into a little yellow flower. Now, only two days later, the cactus has suddenly begun to collapse. Half the plant has "wrinkled" up and the whole plant has become floppy and unstable. Is there any way to salvage this plant, or did I somehow manage to kill it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

It is not a cactus, but a succulent, namely a Faucaria, Most likely tigrina.

The reason it is "floppy" is because it dosnt get enough water. This is a mesemb native to south africa. Although it doesnt get much rain, but get large mists that water it enough. Maybe you could give your a good misting every other day or so.

If you want to do more reading on this plant, click the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus art biz: Faucaria tigrina

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laura Robichaud

I just found one of these over the weekend and repotted it in the gritty mix. Thanks for the link on the care.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™