What kind of fungus.....

veryzerMay 21, 2011

I started my plants in my basement under a metal halide. After a few weeks I noticed whitish powdery blotches on older leaves. It rubs off to the touch. Leaves that were coated died.

Any idea what this is? I'm treating with a Bayer Rose anti-fungal spray. Would daconil be a better choice?

Sorry, no pics. I just treated again (the first seemed somewhat successful) and am hoping I won't see it again.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

It sounds like powdery mildew. If I remember correctly Daconil should work, but I'd check the products' info. to see what fungus they/it control(s).

Some air movement might help, but be sure not to blow the spores onto the other plants.

It sounds a like a severe outbreak if you have dying leaves. I'd carefully remove them so as to not infect any other plants and dispose of them carefully. Be sure to wash your hands and disinfect your clippers to avoid spread.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 3:36PM
teddahlia

Powdery mildew is very infectious and kills dahlias. In the Fall we sometimes get very bad powdery mildew and without spraying, the plants can turn completely white and all leaves that turn white die in a week or so. If you spray after the leaf turns white, the leaf still usually dies but the new leaves will be normal green.
I once had an infection on some cuttings that were inside my house and sprayed them and thought I had cured them. I planted them outside and the powdery mildew infected those plants again and about 10 feet of row near them(in July no less!). I sprayed with a systemic fungicide and controlled it. I use Strike (Triadimefon).

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:10PM
veryzer

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Sponsored Products
Toledo Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
K&B Merlot FinishTV Stand
Overstock.com
32 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
MUD 4PC Setting - Style 2 - MUD Australia
$178.00 | HORNE
W Lounge Chair in Purple
$798.00 | LexMod