Dahlias outside when?

petpalikali(WI-Z4)May 8, 2008

Hey there all. I didn't realize that the thingies I planted were Dahlias until the leaves came out. I've never had Dahlias before. When can I leave them outside...I'm running out of space in my dining room! Can they handle any frost we might happen to still get?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dahliagardener

No frost! Esp. when they've got some growth. It'll turn the leaves to something resembling cooked spinach- yuck. Move out the furniture- then you'll have more room for your dahlias :)
Ellie

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 11:49PM
petpalikali(WI-Z4)

Hey there Dahlia Gardener, I am laughing at your suggestion! And, considering it just a little. I started a bunch of Cannas, some of which turned out to be Dahlias, that I had been given. Never having started bulbs or tubers in my home, I am shocked at the growth and how much space they are using up! I have barely been able to get any seeds started. Thanks for your answer on the frost!

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 5:12PM
kitkat_oregon(7)

Ellie, my dahlias got nipped by frost on their very small tips, the new growth seems to be OK but has the frost damaged future flowers or anything? Thanks for any input. Kat

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 7:49PM
dahliagardener

Kitkat- they'll come back fine if they were just nipped on the tips. Your blooms might be one flower late but not more than topping would have done. You were lucky that the frost wasn't a hard one that would mush up all the new growth but even then, if the tuber doesn't freeze the plant will usually start growing all over again but blooming is set back every time you lose new growth.
Ellie

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™