dahlia got a good soaking. Dagnabbit.

triple_b(BC 5b)May 6, 2008

I put my dahlias in the ground of my square flower plot, one at each corner. Since we are supposed to fill in the hole as it grows they are in a little bit of a bowl. I had to water the area because of the other tiny seedlings in there so I covered the spots where the dahlias are with pots. That worked for 3 of the 4. The fourth I lifted the pot and there was an inch of water in it!! ARRGGHH! I only put it in a few days ago so it is still hidden underground. Although amended our soil still has alot of clay in it. So should I consider writing the eulogy for Lulu Patti yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dahliagardener

All is not lost if the tuber hasn't rotted. If the water drained away it should be OK. Don't give up on Lula Patti yet. (the correct name is Lula Patti- but a lot of folks make that mistake & call it Lulu Patti-- esp. when it's been given to them by someone else who had the name wrong-- & then there's the catalogs that have it wrong, too--ya can't win!)
Ellie

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 1:02AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

yes the catalogue got it wrong. One assumes it to be LULU as it is a more common name.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Actually maybe I will gently lift it out and let it dry a bit then put it back in again.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 5:05PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Everyone is doing just ducky, soaked or no. I guess the drainage is sufficient after all.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™