Has anyone seen Schlums for sale yet?

chloeashaNovember 6, 2013

Hi all! Has anyone seen the great holiday arrival of the Schlumbergeras in the stores yet? I've been looking around, and none are in this town. I had figured they would come in soon. Curious as to if anyone has seen any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenclaws UKzone8a

Yep, 100's of them here in the UK in every colour imaginable!! Hope you get to find one a bit closer real soon :)
Gill UK

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:13PM
chloeasha

Haha Gill! Yes, hopefully! It sounds like you have an awesome selection. :)

Julianna

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:15PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi Julianna...Funny you should ask.I happened to see them just a few hours ago at our local Wally world. only the small 4" pots so far but only in 2 colors (fuchsia and red) so far. Great price price though at $2.92.

Looking for purple and orange...I'm probably not going to find those colors but I keep looking anyways :o)

Lowe's says they should get theirs in next week?

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:25PM
chloeasha

Puglvr1-- awesome! I'm looking for basically ALL the colors, but we'll see what comes in. Good to know! We're probably on the same or similar regional schedule.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:27PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

I saw a bunch in many different colors at HD today. I went to get what I had initially gone for, stopped to talked with a lady who was having problems loading her cart, and walked right out forgetting to pick up a plant or 2. Curses. I'll have to go back tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:42PM
chloeasha

Exciting! You guys are giving me some hope. I think maybe tomorrow I will need to take a peek.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:44PM
parodise(Germany)

I was finally able to land a Samba Brazil at a local flower store a couple of weeks ago... Schlumbs have been around in stores here for close to one month now...

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:01PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Well hello yet again Lena, nice to see you here also! Nice plant BTW!
Gill UK

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:19PM
Enterotoxigenic00

Yes! HD yesterday 6" for $9.98 and 4" pot for $3.98. Lots of great colors. I picked up a Youp and Nicole and one labeled 'yellow'.
And yes it was necessary to buy three. Why? Because they were there.
Karen

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 9:50PM
chloeasha

Karen-- it was totally necessary. I understand!

Today I'm going to go check again--HD and Lowes. We'll see if anything is there yet. I'm cat sitting, so it's the perfect time to go without having to drag my husband along who doesn't understand this Schlum love :)

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 9:34AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very nice TC parodise...You guys in Germany are lucky your TC's come with actual variety names...our does not have the variety name on it, sometimes you won't even find the color of the blooms unless its already open. Usually just says Holiday Cactus or something to that affect ?

LMK if anyone sees orange or purple...and maybe the name of the nursery where it was shipped from...Thanks!

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 9:44AM
chloeasha

I was thinking the same thing about Parodise's lucky find! What a gorgeous little plant!

I'll be on the look out for orange and purple, puglvr1.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 9:49AM
Laura Robichaud

Never saw the orange or purple TC. I do have an orange EC though.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 11:44AM
DearAmbellina(4 MN)

So far I have a white and red TC, but I am trying to find a CC and hoping a random one pops up in a store around here. :s

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 12:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Monday, the tiny WM I cruise by weekly to check the house plant situation (because I have to pass right by it anyway) had cleared everything to the sides, in what looks to be seasonal plant position. The whole middle of the area was empty. Don't remember if TC's come right after mums'n'pansies or if there's something else first down here...

OK, the funny thing is, I want more and I don't know what colors I have yet, between the buds falling off the ones I got last year to obtaining a few cuttings, I just don't know. Doubt I have all colors covered yet, which seems necessary. The word necessary doesn't appear so many times in this discussion by accident.

Great little plant, Parodise!

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 2:33PM
cactusmcharris

Sign on the closed door

'Gone Schlummin'

You're welcome. I'm here all week.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 3:30PM
chloeasha

:(

They aren't here yet! Lowes said maybe next week, and HD didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 6:31PM
parodise(Germany)

Gill,
good to see you here too! How are your TCs doing over in the UK?

Well, TCs don't come with a name tag here, either, unfortunately, they are called plain "Schlumbergera or Weinachtskaktus". But I knew right away it was a Samba Brasil as I wanted that plant and had been looking for it for a while...I just chanced on it on my way to work and had to make an extra trip to get it. Funnily, the very next day in the evening they were all gone (they had 6 or 7 plants when I was buying mine)... I'm hoping to grow it into a big specimen - its flowers are truly spectacular...
Lena

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 6:52PM
tommyr_gw

Haven't seen any here so I'll check tomorrow!

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 9:08PM
maark23 TX/8a

I found some at my local wal-mart. They were under 3 dollars 4 inch pots.. I believe.

They had red, white and pink.

I got a red for now.. I'm waiting to see if Lowes or HD get bigger plants.

Mark

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 10:06PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Well - I HAD to go pick up a plant at HD. This peachy colored babe is going to be putting on a show! This 6-inch pot was $9. They had larger and smaller choices between $4 and $15.

Anyone plant several different colors in one pot? Some of those little guys are still calling to me . . .

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 10:14AM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Here's a closeup of the blossom.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 10:17AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Jeff, that's pretty hilarious!!

Laura, the only place I've ever seen the orange and purple is through mail order :o(...there's a nursery that sells them online (very small 2" starter) plants but their dead line for orders is Oct. 31...so I guess I'll have to wait till next year?

But, I'm still hopeful that one or both will show up somewhere locally?

Crenda, Nice plants! Several years ago I planted 4 different colors in one pot and it turned out great...Sadly I lost it to root rot because it was planted in a very bad mix and it eventually rotted. I lost my purple and orange TC in that pot..I would love to start a new "multi color" pot of TC this year...but will definitely use the Bark mix that Josh and Mike recommends this time around.

I think you will like it...

Here's a picture of Multi color TC pot from several years ago

It had red, pink, purple and orange...the orange hadn't opened here yet...I'll post a close up of my orange that died.
I really miss that orange one! One of the prettiest color blooms...

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 10:43AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

The orange one I lost :o(...I think it was called "Malindi"

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 10:55AM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Very nice! I can hear those little guys getting louder!

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:00AM

Pug, soo sorry! Glad you have those great pics. Kind of scary story though. Are the leaves supposed to look variegated like that? If not, it was already ill it looks like, but blooming. What do you think?

Crenda, I want to see a jigsaw puzzle out of your pic with the screen background.

Jeff, apparently you're NOT there all week, unless 'there' is 'wherever plants are being sold.'

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:01AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Purple...you're so right...though I was excited at first thinking it had a couple of variegated leaves...it turned out to be a deficiency in nutrients its def. not variegated since a couple of applications of fertilizer the variegation disappeared,lol...I think it already was a weak plant to begin with and the peat potting mix it was in only added to staying too wet and I have a heavy hand with the watering can which just helped the rotting issue :o(

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:41PM

Sorry that happened, but good to know. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:55PM
teisa(6)

I've been looking here in Tn and nothing yet. Going back out tomorrow- maybe better luck :)

I liked the statement "my husbands not into Schlums". That's a nice way of saying "my husband has no CLUE about plants" (I've got one of those 2) lol

Nancy, I'm keeping my eye out for you. :o).

Teisa

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 2:35PM
val1(z4 UT)

I went looking yesterday and no Schlumbergera here yet. Last year, one grocery store had named ones which surprised me. They had Cyber Dancer, Exotic Dancer, Youp and a bunch of others. I was looking for yellow at the time so didn't buy any, but am excited to see what they have this year. I just placed an order online for Samba Brazil, Christmas Flame, and Outono Brazil. I hope they arrive safely.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:57AM
chloeasha

Jeff-- forgot to say that I love it!

I wish I could find some named ones around here! I am thinking I'll either have to sell some stuff and order them, or try to work a trade. I'm also looking for Samba Brazil and Outono Brazil amongst others!

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 4:32PM
teisa(6)

Hi, After seeing all these Beautiful Holiday Cactus.... I was persuaded to buy this today.

It jumped in my buggy and I felt so sorry for the pitiful thing, I had to rescue it....

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:10PM
wweidele(6)

Teisa wow huge move score

G/l with it

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:32PM
val1(z4 UT)

Teisa, nice find. It looks so full and healthy.

I found some (pink, red and white) at Walmart today and had a hard time leaving without one. I wish I had more room for them.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:45PM
parodise(Germany)

Teisa,
amazing catch - love your TC!

Just wanted to add, that having had a good look round the flower stores and garden centers I can say quite a few places around here (southern Germany) offer Samba Brazil this season. From this I would infer, that they began to mass produce it and it should be more broadly available. This might also be true in the US - just an observation and a guess...
Lena

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:30AM
camellia1_gw

Teisa, that is a great find! Simply gorgeous!

I'm glad there are others besides me who have that problem "jumped in my buggy." I have proof now because my husband doesn't believe my story when I tell him that.

I had all different colors and lost them to root rot during the cold weather.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:36AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Teisa, I appreciate that :o)...Wow!! Look at that Huge TC jumping in your cart,lol...what a great find!! It looks really nice,loaded with buds!

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:40AM
greenmikey(6)

I know I should probably make an ID post for this but it seems to be in the Schlum family. I've not had it long and it suffered a bit from a recent move but I still got blooms.

Any ideas?

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:28AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Its a Thanksgiving Cactus...I'm glad its blooming for you, very pretty color!!

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 2:29PM

Agreed, on ID and how pretty it is!

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 3:09PM
tommyr_gw

I saw some yesterday at a local garden center. 4" pots. Budding up, not in bloom yet. Standard colors it looks like.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 3:55PM

Standard colors being? Seems like a pretty wide selection for one kind of plant... red, pink, orange, yellow, peach, white. What are the non-standard colors? The ones with 2-color flowers?

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 4:13PM
tommyr_gw

Standard colors being Red and Red! Hardly ever see any other colors. Maybe a pink every planetary alignment.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:07PM
chloeasha

OK! I went to Walmart yesterday and I saw a pink and white one. There were 3 plants, and I want to get one. I happened to be with the husband, so I put it off, plotting for later. Hopefully Lowes gets some in with different colors.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:37AM
camellia1_gw

LOL Julianna! I love it...same here except mine is getting smarter.

So, we were at Lowe's the other night and I told him that I needed 10 minutes. I told him to do his own thing because I wanted to look at the Christmas stuff. Well, Christmas stuff is right next to the plants but I couldn't tell him that. He did tell me that he knows I'm plotting to come back and pick some plants up when he's not around.

I haven't seen any at Lowe's, grocery store or nursery, yet; hopefully, soon.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:35AM

The real story, that you were looking at Thanksgiving stuff, sounds perfectly reasonable to me. This is not a holiday that throws itself together that very day, and also has tons of 'stuff' that goes with it. Since you *will* be keeping it them alive, doing great, they're an investment in festive décor for years to come! Won't everyone be more thankful to munch their meal while looking at flowers? What a selfless act, to tend them all year for those few week when everyone finally notices them. Let's all pat ourselves on the back.

"I'm plotting to come back and pick some plants up when he's not around." Well, chyuh! More fit in the car that way. When you get home, you can maybe sit several smaller pots in a larger cache pot - then they're only 1 plant... right?

Anybody else need some good rationalizations? I'm full of 'em.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:45AM
chloeasha

LOL my husband knows I want them too. I'm not fooling him at all. He loves plants, but has way more restraint and logic than I do. Or at least he sticks to it.

Purple-- I am also good at rationalizations! I enjoy yours about the TG stuff. It would work perhaps if we did anything for it. If I pass my first set of dissertation exams, I may be able to rationalize one or two as a gift for myself instead of a celebratory dinner.

I mentioned it in the blooming thread, but maybe with enough people interested, we should consider a CC/TC trade with interested parties.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 12:24PM
kathi_mdgd

I was in walmart today and they had 4" pots of pink white red but they wanted 6.98 cents per pot.I didn't.get any as I figured I could get them for less at lowes or home depot.
Kathi

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:22AM
kathi_mdgd

I was in walmart today and they had 4" pots of pink white red but they wanted 6.98 cents per pot.I didn't.get any as I figured I could get them for less at lowes or home depot.
Kathi

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:26AM
teisa(6)

I stopped by the closest Lowes to our house to look for any "different" colors. I looked everywhere! Finally stopped someone and the lady said I was like the fith person who had ask her yesterday. She said they didn't and would not be getting any. That they were never shipped to their store!

That sounds like a big loss for them this year! The really large basket, I picked up at the Grocery store!!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 5:09AM
chloeasha

I got a red and a pink/white from Walmart. I had to get shampoo, went by myself, and of course they fell in. 4" pots for $2.98 each. The red actually was labeled-- Carribean Dancer. I would have not gotten it, but it was labeled, so I figured hey, that way I know!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 11:28AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Kathi...Wow!! your walmart is price gouging you,lol...That's quite expensive for that size...I think that is what I they were charging for the 6" baskets here for last year...Suppy in demand I guess?

4" pots at our WM are selling for about the same price as Julianna purchased hers ours are $2.92 and Lowe's and HD are usually about a $1 more...

Congrats Julianna!! How cool you were able to actually find one that's labeled! I'll let you know if I see anything exciting here...Lowe's says it arriving Friday?

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:05PM
chloeasha

Ohhh I just looked at the receipt-- it was $2.92! In my mind I rounded up to $3.

With the one being "Carribean Dancer (Red)", I wonder if the other is "Jolly Dancer." I know there is no way to really know, but it does heavily resemble it and I'm wondering if who ever is growing it is growing a series like that.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
val1(z4 UT)

Julianna, I am excited you found a labeled one at Walmart. I went there yesterday and picked up a white one for the same price as you paid. It was not labeled though. How was yours labeled (sticker, tag)? Mine was from Mid-American Growers in Grantsville, IL.

The grocery store that sold labeled ones here last year said they would get their shipment around Thanksgiving. I am curious to see what they have. They sold a lot of the dancer series last year.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:44PM
chloeasha

Val-- it's a sticker on a plastic plant labeling stick. So it could be moved or removed easily. But it was on a red plant which resembled the CD bloom, so it may be right! No greenhouse information though, or not that I saw. I'll check again when I go home. Right now it's zipped into my secret hidey place in my bag and I am afraid to take it out lest i damage it by trying to force it back in LOL!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 5:21PM
val1(z4 UT)

Julianna - I would assume is was labeled correctly. I just was wondering what I should look for next time I go to Walmart. I did not see any that were labeled last time, but I didn't look closely at the red or pink because I already have those colors. My white one was in foil with the growers name on a sticker.

I picked up one last year on clearance that I thought might be white (because of the dried blooms), but it ended up being white with dark pink edges. It is blooming now and the other TC are just forming blooms. The funny thing is that my CC is starting to bloom now too. They are in two different areas of my home so they get different light. My CC is downstairs in a south-facing, basement window. And the TC are upstairs in a south-facing window in the kitchen.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 7:39PM
chloeasha

Val-- mine was also in the foil-y plastic stuff. Cellophane I guess.

I always had good luck with my CC in West and south-facing windows. It's funny, you see so much to-do about that not being good, but meh. I'm a rebel I guess!

Maybe it is the same CC then and the same grower!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 7:56PM
chloeasha

:/ Lowes just said they don't have an order in and may or may not get any.

HD said maybe, in the next few weeks-- like when live trees come. I don't even know when that is. It's looking grim over here!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 3:03PM
MittenGirl(5 NW MI)

So excited! I contacted my favorite greenhouse. They said they will be getting in a shipment of 4" and 6" pots next week. This greenhouse carries some unusual and hard to find plants, and although they are usually pricey compared to other places, the quality of their plants is outstanding. I can't wait!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 10:07PM
chloeasha

Oh yay-- sooo cool!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 10:10PM
chloeasha

Oh yay-- sooo cool!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 10:11PM
camellia1_gw

I saw a pretty one with yellow flowers at my local nursery but it was too pricey I thought...$14.99 for a 5" pot.

I'll have to wait for Wally World or hope our Lowe's have them soon.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:26AM
chloeasha

Camellia-- that is high! For that you could get somethine named and awesome off eBay :)

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 12:21PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Mittengirl, let us know if you find something good!

Camellia, that is very high for a 5" pot..our Aldi Stores had some 5" pots for $3.99 but the buds were SO tiny I had no idea what the bloom colors are, plus where ever they ordered from must use hard water to water their plants...they had water spots on all the leaves, but I guess for that price eventually the "spots" would go away in several months,lol...

Julianna, I can't understand why Lowe's or HD is not likely going to get them in your area, that's just awful!! I hope they change their minds and show up, hoping for the best...

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 1:18PM
chloeasha

puglvr-- I know! This place is one of the oddest I've ever lived though as far as availability of a variety of things including foods. So on the other hand, it's not that unexpected.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 1:25PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

If it makes you feel a little better my Lowe's told me they were suppose to get them in Friday (yesterday) but they didn't come in...hopefully next week? I live in a pretty small town so I can understand your frustrations...Slim pickins' over here on most things too,lol...

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 1:37PM
chloeasha

Hopefully they will come in for you this next week then! It kind of irks me that they wait so long because the outside temps dip lower and lower, and I hate dragging the tender things around in the cold weather, you know?

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 1:39PM

Saw some at a WM today, $2.92 but the flowers were all finished. Red & hot pink. I wanted white or yellow. I got these instead. Aloe aristata and Senecio crassissimus. Love the purple where the petioles hit the stem.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 18:07

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 4:57PM
chloeasha

Nice! The hot pink was probably the hot pink edged white one they seem to be stocking across the country. Ugh, I wish they would stock more!

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 4:58PM
kathi_mdgd

I also thought 6.98 was too much for a 4" pot that's why I didn't get it.I wasn't even in there for plants,i was looking for the 40# bag of blackoil sunflower seeds for the birds,as that was a terrific buy.Of course they didn't have that either,so I finally found it yesterday at another walmart.Oh it was on sale for 18.87,and the 20# bag was 17.87.So you know I had to get that extra 20# for 1.00 .
Kathi

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 7:10PM
chloeasha

Kathi-- I agree, although if it was nice enough, I'd rationalize it as cheaper than getting one that had to ship :)

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:15PM

No yellow, but a diff WM had barely pink:

And white edged with pink, $2.92 as reported:

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 5:54PM
chloeasha

That barely pink is a white actually :) It means the buds were formed at the right temps to increase the pink pigmentation. Same with that egded one. I see a lot of pink in the white part. How exciting!

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 6:24PM
chloeasha

So far only Walmart has gotten in any here-- and only one of our WMs at that! It's looking grim.

Did anyone see the huge TC on eBay? I tried to get some cuttings, but the people aren't interested lol. I love the way a lot of the phylloclades are rounded and the blooms more symmetrical like an x buckleyi. You can tell, though, it has more truncata parentage.

Here is a link that might be useful: TC

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 9:15AM

Saw brand new carts of TC's @ L's & one WM yesterday. Red, orange, pink, white. The other, tiny WM had nothing but pansies, some veggie starts, and cut Christmas trees. Gosh, those won't be a fire hazard at all! I hope L's put their TCs inside, (that L's has inside and outside plant areas.) It's pouring & gusts of wind so strong the house is creaking! (That was my last 'long trip' to save what I could before today's storms drown everything. Got a great looking hanging variegated Hoya & some more tiny plants like my last pic above. That's it for shopping for me until after the new year. Presents to buy & a hard freeze predicted this week should finish everything off left outside.)

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 9:32AM
chloeasha

I stopped off at Lowes on my way here to work and they had TCs, but just red, white, and a fuchsia. No yellow, no orange-- although the red was red-orange. I'm now 98% sure we're not getting any yellows anywhere!

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 11:37AM
val1(z4 UT)

Julianna - I stopped at my Lowes too. All they had was red. I am looking for a salmon one.

Purple - Where are is your WM getting theirs from A&A or Mid-American? I was wondering if the East was supplied by one and the West by another.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 1:36PM

Val, the 2 I got last week were from A&A. I didn't look at the ones yesterday that closely. Sorry, IDK if they were the same or not.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 2:05PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Well, I thought I had a pot of peachy or salmon colored TC. Looks like I have a mix with white. Funny, because I had considered getting a couple of small ones in different colors to put in one pot.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 4:22PM
val1(z4 UT)

Went ou shopping on Black Friday and found another Thanksgiving Cactus that jumped into my cart. Smith's Marketplace had some on clearance for $3.50. Looked a little closer and noticed that some were labeled "Christmas Fantasy". It is finished blooming for now, so I am hoping the label is correct.

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 2:39AM
chloeasha

Crenda-- how awesome!

Val-- that's some find! Hopefully that label is correct. I find it kind of funny how you keep getting things on my list of wants lol.

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:57AM
Enterotoxigenic00

Our WM had yellow last year, I picked up a HUGE yellow labeled 'limelight dancer." So when temps warm up a bit here...right now it's freezing temps I'll be oh so happy to share. Also tucked away in corners (where DH cannot see) are a few darker yellow TC. Labels read, 'yellow'.
I am always on the lookout for a new TC/CC I need.
Karen

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:39AM
chloeasha

Awesome, Karen! I wasn't sure if you had gotten my last message or not. :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:21PM
chloeasha

dupe

This post was edited by julianna on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 13:30

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:23PM
chloeasha

Awesome, Karen! I wasn't sure if you had gotten my last message or not. :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:24PM
chloeasha

Sorry guys weird hiccup-- kept saying it was rejecting my message when clearly what it really meant was "we're going to post your message a billionty times."

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:27PM
chloeasha

Sorry guys weird hiccup-- kept saying it was rejecting my message when clearly what it really meant was "we're going to post your message a billionty times."

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 1:28PM
val1(z4 UT)

Julianna - I was excited. I can't stop looking at them when I am out and about. I certainly do not need any more right now. Including my Christmas and Easter cactus, I have twelve.

Karen - I also picked up a yellow at WM last year. It was not labeled but I believe it is Limelight Dancer. Glad to hear you got a labeled one since it confirms my belief. I would love to see pics.

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 4:54PM
snailprincess(8b)

Well, I bought a little white and pink one the day before thanxgiving...but then my mom surprised me with this beauty! I'm glad they don't have the same light needs ( or I've read online) that other cacti have... Then I'd be in big trouble.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:23AM
chloeasha

Snailprincess-- how gorgeous!!

Val-- I can imagine-- but then I picture mature plants housed in a cache urn standing regally in bloom in some amazing setting that isn't my house, and I get excited and think THERE MUST BE MOAR.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:54PM
camellia1_gw

Nice looking plant snailprincess! Great gift!

Oh, no...it'll be Easter cactus collecting time soon...LOL! I thought I got one for a deal at Lowes...under $2 but it's a type of orchid cactus...shucks, didn't look at it that close. I just saw the smooth segments.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:01PM
chloeasha

I would like to point out that Snailprincess is an awesome name.

Hong-- could it in fact have been something like Rhipsalis pachyptera or R. eliptica?

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:10PM

Camellia, that sounds cool, whatever it is. If you start a new discussion with a pic & 'they' will suggest what it could be.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:27PM
camellia1_gw

Yes, you're right Julianna - Rhipsalis eliptica is what it looks like

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 6:03PM
Laura Robichaud

I found a nice orange TC at a grocery store in VT this weekend! It was the last orange one...lots of reds, whites and pinks.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:31PM
chloeasha

Yay Laura! It's like a scavenger or treasure hunt lol.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 1:00PM
Laura Robichaud

I found a nice orange TC at a grocery store in VT this weekend! It was the last orange one...lots of reds, whites and pinks.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:03PM
val1(z4 UT)

Julianna - I agree it is like a treasure hunt. I get so excited whenever I find something different but then I want to buy it and then I wonder where I am going to put it. It is probably a good thing they cannot go outside all year long or I would want to buy them all. I did go quite crazy with iris.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:26PM
JessieC777(Washington State 5)

They had some at our local safeway for $2.50 for a 4inch pot, I never did make it to the store to see what colors they had. Then they have some that are a 9inch from Debi Lilly company that are $25!! I'm thinking it's the packaging and company name that hiked the price up. I got a yellow one from them last year for $2.50 :-)
Went through WM the other day and saw nothing but poinsettias and Norfolk Island Pines

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 3:50PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats to all that have found some!!! Very pretty colors everyone.

Crenda, Nice white and salmon color. in the same pot..

Snailprincess that's a really nice and full plant...

Laura, very happy you found an orange!!

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 4:12PM
beetle_2007(3)

This orange [I think ;)] jumped in my cart at Wally world.

I jusrt Love ALL of them LOL , and would have one in every color....if only there was Room LOL

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 6:19PM
chloeasha

Very cool! Does it have a name?

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 6:24PM
teisa(6)

I found this at Kroger tonight while out grocery shopping. It is larger than the red one I found earlier!

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 11:30PM
chloeasha

Oh wow-- very cool!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:34AM
dianashh

Does anybody know where can I buy them from in the UK? Thanks! :)

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:10AM
camellia1_gw

Wow! Very nice! My Kroger only had the small ones. That's where I bought the small yellow one.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:02AM

Teisa, wow!! Now I can see why some are more expensive, they're HUGE! That's bigger than plants I've had for over a year.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:57AM
beetle_2007(3)

Posted by julianna 7bAR (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 18:24

Very cool! Does it have a name?

No, Sorry, its just a no id TC. :)

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:23PM
chloeasha

Awww, thanks Beetle! I figured :)

Diana-- I'll check around :)

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:41PM
dianashh

Thank you Julianna!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:09PM
chloeasha

Diana-- on some of the fb groups, I saw some UKers mention this:

cactusshop.co.uk

:)

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:06PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats Beetle and Teisa!!

Teisa that's a HUGE one!!

Here's a couple of mine I've had since last year...they were given to me. They are both reddish and reddish orange...

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:34PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

This one has pink and red on the same pot...

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:37PM
chloeasha

Very pretty!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:30PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Julianna!!

Here's one of my yellow blooms from my TC that's in "intensive care" I'm glad it decided to bloom even though its not doing so well right now :o(

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:27PM
chloeasha

OMG I love it so much!!

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 6:13PM
camellia1_gw

Gorgeous yellow Nancy!

How is your 2 toned cuttings doing?

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 7:39PM
val1(z4 UT)

Puglvr1 - I love your yellow! I hope it makes a strong recovery.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:15PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks for the nice comments...I would be sad to see this one not make it. Keeping fingers crossed!

Camelia, are you asking about my TC "CRISTEN 'aurea"?

If that's what you're asking about...its doing well...seems to be rooted. Right now all the reddish and yellow growths have turned to light green/yellowish. Just one tiny little new pinkish/reddish growth...I really like this variety mainly for the difference in color from the rest of my other Holiday Cactus...

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 8:09AM
camellia1_gw

Yes, I think they started calling it 2 toned on here...LOL!

Looks Beautiful! I'm so glad it is doing well for you. So nice and healthy!

What was your mix for cuttings? I couldn't remember and couldn't find your post.

Josh, helped me with the mix for TC...5:1:1

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 10:09PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Camellia...my mix is very similar to the one you used (5:1:1)... Orchid bark (very small pieces), perlite and a sprinkle of potting soil. Seems to work great for rooting CC's and TC's...thanks to Josh's suggestion as well :o)

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 4:45PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

So nice Pug!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too...Sorry about the yellow one...I think it will come around with your care:-)

MIke

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:42PM

Was at L's yesterday trying to buy wood-crafting tools they don't even sell (go figure!) and the few TC's left were on clearance. The $10 were $5 and the $3 plants were .50. Although there were several bigger ones with white, very white flowers, even I couldn't rationalize such a purchase with the present-budget. So I got 7 little .50 ones with the lightest colored buds. For $3.50, worth waiting for a year to see what they open to, assuming all of these buds will fall off as I'm expecting. I also picked up all of the broken pieces from the floor & stuck them in the tray. A few look promising, and total mysteries regarding flower color.

Now, where in the world am I going to put these things? I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting more/bigger holes in the sides of hanging baskets & sticking them in those. Seriously no room for any more pots!

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:24AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Mike! I'm going to need some extra luck :o)

Purple, .50 cents?!?! You're so lucky, my store is not doing any clearance on them yet...Great bargains!! You can always pot them all in one pot and see what color they bloom next year...one pot is much easier to deal with,lol...

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:02PM
chloeasha

So awesome, Purple!!

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Hobbits for Nancy
Here are the Hobbits I was talking about. My Mom got...
ehuns27 7a PA
Completely peat-less potting soil
The fungus gnats are having a party. The party is on...
asclepiad_fan
It's Started...Again!
Yes, the new season of saying good-by to our winter...
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
End of Winter Update: Cuttings
So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally...
DavidL.ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™