Found at last: old growth redwoods of Mexico!

arauquoia(z7b GA)April 30, 2012

AKA Montezuma cypress. These are the same as the Tule tree of Oaxaca, I believe. But these are an entire forest or at least large grove.

Here's where to find them: At the Lago de Camecuaro National Park near Zamora.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salicaceae(z8b FL)

Nice trick - I've never heard of T. mucronatum being called redwood! I thought for a moment that there had been a discovery of a population of S. sempervirens or something.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:07AM
arauquoia(z7b GA)

Horticulturalists in New Mexico at the Tome nursery (now called the Plants that Please) call Taxodium the Texas redwood -- I guess because Taxodium was classified with redwoods in Taxodiaceae, sometimes called the redwood family.

These are the same people who found a Taxodium species in the mountains of southwest New Mexico that they were having tested at Cornell? to see if it is a new species. (If it was found on the Eastern side of the continental divide, that would put it into the watershed of the Rio Grande, making it likely?/possible? that it is T. mucronatum. There's a Chinese researcher who claims to have found T. mucronatum south of Las Cruces in the watershed of the Rio Grande.)

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 12:52PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I just visited Plants that Please website... they call them "New Mexico Redwood", not Texas Redwood. I've known about them for several years now. They're just more cold hardy compared to the ones to the south.

I was given free NMMC plants to try out a few years ago. They're alright. Nothing special plus they seem to be susceptible to needle disease due to high humidity. To fix that problem, Chinese scientists bred both Montezuma and Bald cypress to be more resistant against blight but retain growing characters of MC and better form of BC. I have some in my backyard...

Here is my Montezuma cypress grown from a seed that came from MC at Stephen F Austin State University that came from one in Mexico back in 1980s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium Breeding Brochure from the Nanjing Botanical Garden

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Black Hills Spruce SNEED, Rhizosphaera and spider mites
I have lot of spruce trees with sneed, Rhizoshaera...
Minnesotatrouble
Question concerning growing Ponderosa pines from seed
I am currently growing one ponderosa pine from seed...
pinus66
Ghost (gray) Pine seedling
This March the wife and I found a Ghost pine (P. sabiniana)...
pasadena
Thuja green giant look at this picture
Hi I bought 13 Thuja Green Giants and planted them...
midnight727200
Is this an Abies Disease?
I just noticed that my Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'...
garcanad
Sponsored Products
Blue Birthday Frame
$8.99 | zulily
Wall Mount Thermostatic Tub Shower Mixer Bath Faucet & Handset Sprayer
Hudson Reed
Eastman Full Headboard
$799.00 | Horchow
Elegant Home Fashions Finial Rod - Satin Nickel/Hook: Round - 9200/9064
$29.98 | Hayneedle
Adirondack Chair: Big Daddy Reclining Adirondack Chair with Pull Out Ottoman- Na
$119.98 | Hayneedle
Gladiator Garden Tools GearTrack and GearWall Scoop Hook Hammered Graphite
$5.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™