A greenhouse jaunt

paul_(z5 MI)November 15, 2012

Howard invited me along on his jaunt to a succulent/cactus nursery yesterday. Twas quite an enjoyable sojourn. Saw some very nice plants ... many of which I had not seen before. Though I did not buy anything, I did take a few shots here and there for y'all. In many cases I was able to get the names but there are a few unknowns.

Thought this one to be quite unique

Another nifty one -- it reminded me of corkscrew rush (Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'). Picture isn't the best but I did get the name tag in the photo.

Thought this one was very cool. Didn't get the name for it, alas. Reminded me of a cross between a waterlily and a protea flower.

Two of the many I had never heard of before

A lot of caudex plants ... most in large (8-10") pots

One of the smaller potted (4" pot I think) caudex

A number of Pachys but this 3 trunker intrigued me

Quite a goodly number of mesembs, IMO. These little section being in flower, of course, caught my eye

A colorful section of echies and such

One of a multitude of Agaves that caught my attention (for you Jeff)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmoney

Many thanks for the shot of bliss!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 2:59PM
elichka(6b)

Gorgeous plants,thanks for sharing. I wish I were there...

Inna

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 3:01PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Well that little sojourn has definitely brightened up my day, thanks for all the eye candy.

Annette

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 3:04PM
cactusmcharris

Paul,

Let me add to the thankers - and the Agave, yumbolicious! And the Pachy. The one unid might be Haemananthus albiflos. Were those all for sale? I could have easily sold myself into indenture.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 5:28PM
cactusmcharris

That should be Haemanthus albiflos, but it gave me another chance to revel in caudex fever.

And the Albucas - I have one (A. shawii) that grows in the summer, but the other two (A. spiralis and A. acuminata) are winter-growers. Something for everyone.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:49PM
LMiller_777

What I wouldn't give to have a place like that in Texas. Lovely plants... Thanks for sharing the photos!

Linda / Houston

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:39PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Posted by cactusmcharris
Were those all for sale?

Most of the plants were though some did not yet have their price tags on them. The owners had only in the last couple weeks brought some of the larger plants indoors and were still arranging the greenhouses and trying to get some potting done. Many of the large caudexed plants in the large pots were the owners' personal collection and were not for sale.

Glad you liked the pics folks. :)

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:34PM
unprofessional(5)

Was this at The Root Cellar, on 12? Wonderful hidden treasure of a nursery, if so.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:53AM
unprofessional(5)

Whoops...wrong name; The Root System.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 8:56AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Yes, unprofessional, but now they are called "The Root System" owners John and Kathy Krajenka (Krajenka Buick for those old enough from SE Michigan to remember). John has retired from his full time job with Goodyear Racing and will devote his undivided attention to promoting his C&S business. He told me he has or will have up and running a new website for internet sales. My disclaimer: I'm not promoting or advertising here, just FYI! Don't want to cause problems.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:03AM
unprofessional(5)

That's great news! I'm over in Hillsdale county, but mainly grow waterlilies, conifers, clematis, and hydrangeas, though cacti & succulents are my wintertime hobby. I have always been impressed with their little nursery.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:19AM
karyn1(7a)

Great plants. I wish there was someplace like that near here. That Albuca really does look like a corkscrew rush. I don't think the NOID is a Haemanthus albiflo. That foliage is wider.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:49AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Karyn, you have tons of square feet of greenhouse space in your backyard! All of those wonderful plants DH brings home... LOL

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:29AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Karyn, you have tons of square feet of greenhouse space in your backyard! All of those wonderful plants DH brings home... LOL

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:30AM
cactusmcharris

Karyn,

Some of the Albucas are easily had from Greg Starr, but I think that mecca of succulentism, Mesa Gardens (I really should order some plants from them for delivery Down Yonder), has a lot more. They're (I'm speaking of just the winter-growers here) awesome to see pop up in October after slumbering the summer. Albuca 'Augrabie Hills' stays in leaf (shoot?) year-around here, but I've never seen it bloom. Here's Albuca shawii this summer:

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 11:38AM
karyn1(7a)

Pretty little flowers. They look kind of like yellow snowdrops. There's plenty of online vendors but nothing that I could drive to within a reasonable amount of time. The National arboretum has some interesting plants to look at but there's no retail shops.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:10AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Paul, for a great greenhouse jaunt! :-D

Josh

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:01AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

All of you! Enablers! Shame on youall collectively and individually!

I've spent the past 2 year getting rid of plants. I want room in the greenhouse to start tomatoes and squash and such. Then drug peddler Paul come along, shows decent pics of his addiction, and now I think I might have room for a couple of new plants. The rest of the Greek chorus is heard chanting "Oh just one more". Shame on me too.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:42AM
cactusmcharris

Dz,

Nothing worse than a lapsed succulentist, but then you taught me that. 'The Man with the Golden Potting-Up Arm' was playing all along.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Some cactus like water
Who says you can't water cactus every day? This cactus...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™