What is the best type of fertilizer or plant food for dahlias?

czarynn(z9 CA)June 28, 2005

I've been using the water soluble Miracle Grow (the bloom enhancing kind). Not sure if this is the best way to feed them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DapperDahlia(z6 Pa)

I've seen a couple of posters say they use Tomatoe food. I dont really know what to use because my dad is a fertilizer salesman, he comes home and says "Put this on them" and I do and they grow. :O)

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 10:40AM
Poochella(7 WA)

I'm using a 10-10-10 granular 2 month fertilizer. Used to use Osmocote and would again if I hadn't bought a huge bagful with too high of a Nitrogen concentration. In mid to late July, I'll use MorBloom liquid to improve bloom production- that's the theory anyway. I used it last year and couldn't really tell if it made a difference, but I had plenty of flowers.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 5:39PM
tcgreene7(Spokane)

I have used the Miracle Gro too. The bad thing is I've noticed ALOT of grennery. That can be bad for air circulation for the plants. Also I woukd suggest being careful about how much nitrogen is applied. It can burn the plants. Been there, done that.

tcgreene7

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 7:56PM
welltraveled(z5Mid Mich)

The Michigan Dahlia Assoc. literature says DO NOT use Miracle grow types fertilizers. Avoid Compost,Fish fertilizers and high nitrogen water soluables as they promote weak stems,small blooms or no blooms at all. Use high percentage potassium and phospherous such as 5-10-10 or 10-20-20

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 10:49AM
sudhira

Hi, I use a variety of foods...ALL organic...NO MIRACLE GRO on anything...Try Whitney Farms all purpose, Dr. Earth, E.B. Stone, MaxSea...I pick at least 2 bucket fulls of blooms every day, and only 1/3 are in bloom at present! I also use a fertilizer called "Oragnic Advantage" which has humic acid in it...OOHHH and I also use compost tea.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™