what to do with mushy tuber from an order

linda0210June 4, 2008

For those of you that buy thru mail-order, what do you do

I had ordered tubers for the first time this year - from two different vendors on the west coast- did it back in December They were small orders - 8-10 from each. I did delay planting for about 45 days but had checked both orders when I got them and they were ok, packed in shavings

When planting, 3 tubers (all three same kind) in one order were mushy. After planting, 1 tuber in the other order rotted out at the end.

I didn't tell the vendors - felt funny - my thoughts were sortof 'buyer beware'. And while I don't want to think that I will lose $3-$5 in each order, I just feel odd about doing it.

What do you all do? Tell the vendor? Do you expect or get replacement?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhdahlialover

Last year I had a few that rotted in the ground. We didn't have a wet period after I had planted them so I knew it wasn't my weather. I emailed the vendor and they were replaced for this year. I would let them know - they might replace, they might not - but it doesn't hurt to ask. You might have to wait until next season for your replacement though if they don't have the variety anymore.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:45PM
plantlady2008

Next time ask them to ship closer to your planting time so you don't have to store them- most vendors will keep them for you - then you can plant right away & they won't have a chance to go mushy on you. You can still get your order in early but just ask for a later shipping date.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 12:14AM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

Definitely tell the vendor of anything that doesn't produce. Mine was happy to record the fact so my next year's order would receive credit, and, to boot she threw in 2 extra tuber choices for next year. I did not need anything to be replaced immediately, but I did get the feeling had I asked she would have accommodated with anything she still had stock of.

I have a very good experience, and I think all vendors would likely strive to be as accommodating.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 7:08PM
pdshop(5)

I received new tubers and xtras when I reported my rotten tubers. There were some from the 4 companies I used. I told them not to send me the tubers so early next year.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™