dahlias flopped

mzdee(6b)June 14, 2013

and the leaves are wilting. I planted two nice sized tubers last month. They took off like wild fire and have grown to about 8 or 9 inches high with nice thick stems. They were upright with no staking. We did have heavy rain for the last couple of days. Today, they were laying on the ground and leaves have started to wilt. No stems are broken, so I don't think its storm damage. Anyone else experience this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCvacation

I would gently dig out the earth around the tuber, and check to see if the stem cracked at the tuber. Sounds like that's what might have happened. Twist gently on the stem, and if it rotates loosely, you might as well take it completely off and let a new sprout form on the buried tuber.

You can try to root the stem in 3-4 inches of sterile soil in a cup with a gallon ziplock for two weeks(Take all wilting leaves off), and plant that out once it roots strongly.

If it is still attached strongly, take off wilting leaves, stake it firmly, and hope for the best!

Cheers!
CC

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:13AM
mzdee(6b)

Thanks CC
I'll give it a try. I didn't know you could root frm the stem. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing :-)

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:29AM
CCvacation

Unfortunately, thicker stems are harder to root, from my experience, but its worth a try! Search this forum for 'cuttings,' and a whole new world will open up!

Cheers!
CC

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™